Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2004, 08:50 AM   #1
Tumbleweed
Club Member

From THUNK to WHOOSH! A simple humidor fix.

I have a small humidor that has a sloppy fitting lid. It closed with a resounding THUNK,
instead of the infamous Whoosh. It wouldn't maintain humidity worth horse-apples.

I grabbed a couple spanish cedar sleeves from cedar wrapped cigars, and sliced them into
strips that would fit on the 'lip' of spanish cedar that seals the humi. I used a glue stick to secure them, and clamped them with some of those small office clips.

(I used the glue stick because it dries quickly, and doesn't off-gas chemical odors.)

After thirty minutes I removed the clamps, performed a little judicious trimming with a razor knife, and some light sanding to bevel the edge and blend the seams.

VOILA! This humi now closes with a satisfying WHOOOOSH!

In fact it is so tight I have to apply light pressure on the lid to close it completely.
It also now maintains humidity better than it ever has.

I have since opened and closed this humi over 100 times, and it is still tight. No discernable wear on the veneer strips, and you have to look very closely to even tell they are there.

This little project took less than one hour, and I turned a feckless box into an excellent humidor.

If you have a ill fitting humi that goes THUNK when you close it, this simple remedy can make it go
WHOOOSH in no time.

www.versablock.com
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote