Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 03-06-2003, 11:52 AM   #1
moob
Herf Meister

The Rising... for Bitingsam

bitingsam.. thought I'd plop this thread here for you.

My devotion to Springsteen's music borders on the fanatical. The Rising might be his best record. It powerful and resonates emotionally within me.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:58 AM   #2
Bitingsam

Same here, Moob

and thanks for moving this here.

The whole album is powerful but The Rising has really stayed with me. I guess seeing it live on the grammy's and then again this past friday on CBS brought the importance of the song home for me. I had chills watching and listening to it live.

The other song that resonates the most is "Mary's Place"...such a sad sad song yet inspirational and upbeat. Wow, what a job he did with it.
  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 12:10 PM   #3
mannish
Herf God

So lets ask: Is Burce sincere or is he just trying to captialize on recent events and the emotions that it brings/brought out...?

trying to make a buncha bucks on certian events...

Would he have done this song five years ago....? why didn't he

I am of course a Bruce fan (who ain't) I am just asking the questions that would be asked of some other artists just cause I ain't in the mood to work.

Bruce is THE BOSS even though he kissed Clemmons that time
mannish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 12:16 PM   #4
Bitingsam

Mannish...he couldnt have done The Rising five years ago because the firemen he sings about in the first part of the song, and the "thousand children in Mary's arms" going into the light didnt die in 911 five years ago...so that's kind of moot.

The songs in the 60s, such as CSNY "Ohio"...do you feel the same about those songs as you do about The Rising? Just curious.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:29 PM   #5
mannish
Herf God

I did not say I felt that way, Bruce can do anything he wants cause he's the boss. I was only asking. I liked the song Ohio cause of the guitar and the groove the msg was lost on me.

I personally don't feel that way about anyone who writes a song that is influenced by tragedy,joy or any emotion. I have just heard others question
some artists (not here) about whether they were just selling records or being sincere. I think they are all sincere myself.
mannish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 12:35 PM   #6
Bitingsam

I think Bruce has never been more sincere in his songwriting or his performance.

Not one song on the CD is a patriotic anthem, like others have done; "The Rising" is about the firefighters traveling up the steps of the towers, and then the souls of the thousands who died in the Twin Towers being lifted into heaven. It's sad, poetic, scary, powerful.

Cant wait to see him live! Was always a huge Bruce fan...but this album is even better than what he's done in the past. For me, it's one of the top 3 albums Ive ever heard, if not #1.