Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:22 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Daily Smokes Mini-Review 2020

Last night's cigar: Eiroa "The First 20 Years" Prensado 50 x 5 by the C.L.E. (Christian L. Eiroa) Cigars. According to their website this is a Honduran puro. Here is their ad-copy
Quote:
Eiroa “The First 20 Years” is a box-pressed Honduran cigar featuring Honduran tobacco wrapper, binder, and filler. This cigar will entertain you from first light to the last draw. Medium to Full-bodied with a full spectrum of indulging flavors, expect subtleties of dark chocolate, espresso, baking spices, nuts, earth, and leather to yield a harmonious and complex experience.

Each meticulously crafted cigar pays tribute to the Eiroa family, a cigar brand with a legacy 100 years in the making. They come encased in unique lift-top boxes bound in a leather ribbon, paying homage to Christian Eiroa’s grandfather and his habit for keeping his cigar cache at the foot of his bed inside a trunk.
BigJohn, who was my secret Santa sent this one. There are no names in this line, only the dimensions of the cigars. Prensado, this cigar had a significant box-press, not unlike the original CAO L'Anniversaire lines. This was a great cigar, it started out with an almost cloying dried/candied fruit character, but over the course of the cigar that faded to an agreeable leathery flavor profile.

It is not overly strong, this was more than enjoyable. Great way to celebrate Monday night's College Football Playoff Championship.
AVAILABLE VITOLAS / COUNT
40 x 4 / 20
46 x 6 / 20
50 x 5 / 20
54 x 6 / 20
60 x 6 / 20
DIADEMA / 10
MSRP:$152.00 – $299.20

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 01-15-2020 at 06:47 AM.
TommyBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:23 AM   #2
KatDad
Herf God

Nice!

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #3
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
Last night's cigar: Eiroa "The First 20 Years" Prensado 50 x 5 by the C.L.E. (Christian L. Eiroa) Cigars. According to their website this is a Honduran puro. Here is their ad-copy

BigJohn, who was my secret Santa sent this one. There are no names in this line, only the dimensions of the cigars. Prensado, this cigar had a significant box-press, not unlike the original CAO L'Anniversaire lines. This was a great cigar, it started out with an almost cloying dried/candied fruit character, but over the course of the cigar that faded to an agreeable leathery flavor profile.

It is not overly strong, this was more than enjoyable. Great way to celebrate Monday night's College Football Playoff Championship.
AVAILABLE VITOLAS / COUNT

40 x 4 / 20

46 x 6 / 20

50 x 5 / 20

54 x 6 / 20

60 x 6 / 20

DIADEMA / 10

MSRP:$152.00 – $299.20

ROTT tonight one of CI's Villazon Maduro toro. Interestingly, it was a lot similar flavorwise to the cigar I mentioned in the quote. The cloying sweetness is likely caused by me lighting them too quickly with a strong lighter.

This thing burned straight as an arrow and razor thin. Ash held about a half an inch or so at a time. This cigar has pedigree, quite enjoyable. I think I made a good buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Old 05-17-2020, 12:43 PM   #4
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Southern Draw Lustrum Kudzu Medio Tiempo belicoso Aged Five Years.

This is a lovely cigar, made for Robert Holt at the A. J. Fernandez factory in Nicaragua. It smoked almost razor perfect the entire length of its existence. It went out once toward the end due to negligence, most likely.

It has a creamy character with a real caramel flavor especially as it neared its end, which was a wonderful turn of events, as most cigars I smoke tend to get hot and ashy. This one did nothing of the sort. Thank you to spiridon for this one.

Go find you some, me son.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:33 PM   #5
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Thumbs up

Long Live the King--A.J. Fernandez Lonsdale. 44 x 6 inches

Great cigar, this started out with a heavy fruit character like figs and dates, then proceeded to mellow and develop a touch of leather then cedar character. I smoked it down to where I had to finally put a corn-on-the-cob skewer to get as much as I could from it. That made it hot, and the finish on it is a slight, charry, incense flavor.

Will smoke again and will enjoy again.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:47 PM   #6
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Today's mini review is a La Palina Black Label Toro (6x50). I snagged 25 of these at a JR's flash sale for $9.95 a fiver. These are very dark and firm wrappers. The firm wrapper seems to sometimes burn a bit slower than the filler. A light occasional touch up takes care of that.
The flavor is straight forward. This is a strong cigar with no nuance.
That said, these were a good buy at $2 per and I like 'em fine.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I opened a 10 pack of Umbabgog Corona Gordas I've had since last fall. I've had a few of these that were kind of tight. Not today!

The roll is even and firm. The wrapper was dark and toothy. The draw was nice and open. The cigar burned evenly the whole 1.5 hours. The flavor is smooth and strong. Lots of chewy smoke. When these are on target nothing beats them.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Corona Cigar Company Gold Series Maduro Churchill ( 7x48).
Well made cigar, dark and firm. The ash was tight and it burned straight all the way. I'm not getting much nuance from maduros these days. Just strong, rich tobacco flavor here. Not that I think that's a bad thing. Good cigar! It's really nice to smoke a long cigar and only need one match.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #9
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Smoked a Room 101 Ltd 20th Anniversary Edition Churchill (7x48). Not sure when these were made. I got a few in a grab bag so I'm guessing it's been awhile. The silver band also says: Anniversary Edition Stogies Republic of Texas. It was wrapped in tissue and enclosed in a sleeve.

The wrapper looks like broadleaf. It's chocolate brown and feels heavy. good open draw.The burn was pretty straight. I hit it with a match twice.
It was rich and full bodied. If you come across one of these you are in for a nice smoke.