Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

De La Concha (New York) on Cuban Cigars

The tobacconist at De La Concha in New York has weighed in on smoking Cuban cigars, especially in his establishment.

CW News entry for today

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
H311oLHD
Herf Meister

Wow, he actually kicks people out that are smoking CC's? I would just ask them to remove the band and to please understand that it would be appreciated if you didn't bring any more cubans into the store and politely explain why.
Rest In Peace Cubano.
Charter Member, MCLC
“Making others green with envy”™
H311oLHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Smoker06
Herf God

Interesting story, Tommy. I'm not so sure of the declining quality of Cuban cigars. I'd like to think of it as narrowing the gap due to the improved qualities of non-Cuban cigars.

As far a kicking people out of his store, I'm okay with him doing that. His point on smoking cigars, that weren't purchased in his store, in his store is a good one.

Since I only use one B&M shop, I try to follow this rule of thumb. The cigar that's in my mouth when I arrive, may not be from that store. But all the other cigars I smoke there and the cigar that's in my mouth when I leave the store will be from that store. I figure that's the least I can do for my local guy.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
K_Duffer
Starting Member

I'm always amazed to see people walk into my B&M store with a whole zip lock bag full of cigars to smoke them in the smoking room. This happens at least once or twice a month. I mean, do you go into McDonalds with a Burger King meal to eat it there?
K_Duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
The JD
Herf Meister

If I'm ever going to bring my own stogie to smoke to a cigar shop, I make sure I at least purchase a few from the store. It's just common courtesy, IMHO. However, if a B&M doesn't want people bringing in their own cigars, I have no problems respecting their decesion. I just probably won't go to that cigar shop anymore. That's what's nice about Milwaukee, we got a lot of cigar shops and I've already "boycotted" 3 cigars shops (Same owner, same rules) because they don't allow carry-in's, even if I'm not carrying in my own cigars.

Oh, and I'd never keep the label on a CC if I smoke it in public.
The JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker06 View Post
Interesting story, Tommy. I'm not so sure of the declining quality of Cuban cigars. I'd like to think of it as narrowing the gap due to the improved qualities of non-Cuban cigars.

As far a kicking people out of his store, I'm okay with him doing that. His point on smoking cigars, that weren't purchased in his store, in his store is a good one.

Since I only use one B&M shop, I try to follow this rule of thumb. The cigar that's in my mouth when I arrive, may not be from that store. But all the other cigars I smoke there and the cigar that's in my mouth when I leave the store will be from that store. I figure that's the least I can do for my local guy.
Frank, your first comment is fair. But is this guy's opinion a reflection of that, or simply a means to an end?

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
EdT

The store manager, I think, is being reasonable. If a fine could cost you thousands of dollars, would you be willing to take the risk?

Being president is like being a jackass in a hailstorm. There's nothing to do but to stand there and take it.
Lyndon B. Johnson
EdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
H311oLHD
Herf Meister

I dont think he's being totally unreasonable, but I think he should take a different approach before kicking out patrons. He may do that though, but it sounds like he doesnt. I sometimes bring in a cigar to a shop, but I always make it a point to buy at least two. I do this when I go to Cigar King a lot.

-Aaron
Rest In Peace Cubano.
Charter Member, MCLC
“Making others green with envy”™
H311oLHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
monteman
Club Member

I work 3 blocks from de la Concha and I used to spend a lot of time in the shop before I turned to the dark side. I can tell you that Ron is a class gentleman and the staff at de la Concha always treated me and customers fairly. YMMV
monteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
b0rderman
Club Member

good to know monte...I agree with his cigar store policy--discretion is rule #1 if you feel the need to bring a cuban cigar into a shop (I feel the need during the winter when I can't smoke outside), band off for sure.

As for his other assertions....ehhhh i dunno...
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote