Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 06-09-2003, 02:11 PM   #1
KC135gaspsr
Starting Member

The wrong glass for drinking

Since I have moved my house has not cought up with me yet. I am having to make due with the bare essentials. (yes, that includes my humidors) I was trying to drink some merlot last night and the only thing I had to drink it out of was a beer pilsner. I was amazed at how much difference the wrong glass can make on a drink. Your thoughts? And while we are on the subject what other essentials must you have wile drinking a specific beverage? Like a frosted mug and a lime wedge for a corona.
KC135gaspsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 03:13 PM   #2
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Sipping merlot from a pilsner glass is sort of like trying to lick sugar from a stone. I'm not sure which kind of merlot you were drinking (perhaps a ripe and rich Californian?), but if it was fairly full-bodied (as opposed to some of the light and fresh northern Italian varieties), then the ideal vessel would be a large-bowled glass, in order to allow the secondary aromas full swing. Your born-of-necessity experiment probably overly emphasized the bitter and alcoholic aspects of the wine rather than the fruitiness and other scents. This is a very complex subject. But as you have discovered, shape is important! I believe there are other threads on these forums discussing this very matter. Search them out!
Old 06-09-2003, 05:45 PM   #3
ferdelance
Herf Meister

interesting, i drink my wines from a short straight glass, sort of the italian way.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:36 PM   #4
KC135gaspsr
Starting Member

I was sure there would be numerous informative threads on this subject. Since I recently subscribed to this thread I meerly hoped to entice a discussion on prefered ways to drink ones favorite drink. I however applaud you Jazz on you Holmsish deduction that I was drinking a California Red. I would thank anyone to share with me.
KC135gaspsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 06:39 PM   #5
MetsFan
Herf God

I never really believed the glass could impact the taste of the wine until some friends gave us some Riedel stemware for Christmas one year. We got 2 zin glass and 2 bordeaux glasses. We decided to crack open a bottle of wine and the 4 of us drank it. About midway through the first glass, we switched glasses. The difference was amazing.
MetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 06:55 PM   #6
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

there is a reason why the french use the shapes they use - like a flute for champagen and a large bowl gladd for the big reds.

a pilsner for pilsner is the only way to go. enhlish beers taste best in those nice english beer glasses.

I'm wondering what % of american merlot consumption is californian? The french blend their wines.

And ferdelance, quaffing wines, from the glasses you describe works great with simple wines - nothing wrong with simple.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 07:37 PM   #7
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

I'm with grtrx on the beer business. Those tall slims help keep a Pilsner cool and fresh while emphasizing the hoppiness. And stout glasses suit Ales to a tee. I have a couple of Scottish malt liquor ones with a lower bowl portion which almost closes in on itself before opening up at the sides. This is great for retaining flavour and allowing sweetness to emerge at the rim.
I prefer my white table wines to have a palate-cleansing acidic backbone. Rieslings, especially from Alsace and Germany, are my favourites. These do best in a narrower glass that highlights the crispness.
Red wines are slightly more problematic. Generally, I like younger reds in broader, Burgundy-style glassware and older, more 'fragile' reds in standard-shaped goblets. It all boils down to the rate of aeration, as a larger glass will enable wine to oxidize more rapidly.
Another twist involves the rim design. A slightly inward-canted rim will favour dryish acidity and tannins, whereas a lip that curls a little outward will increase the apparent fruity sweetness.
I drink a fair amount of Scotch, and have found that a grappa glass does justice to most. The 'Glenmorangie' taster has gentler sides and is equally suitable. I also like its glass cover lid. However, I usually pour cask-strength whiskies into a larger wine goblet. In this case, I always have a tiny pitcher of pure still water at my side and 'douse' the whisky until I feel it's at its best.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:16 AM   #8
Rocket Launcher
Starting Member

Glass ware is one of the most common mistakes people make when drinking wine.

I only serve wine when we entertain. My favorite guests are the ones that claim they don't drink wine that often. Perfect victims.

Our evening usually starts with a crisp white. to a cool light red table wine, and then on to a grand red with dinner (we usually serve some sort of meat when we have guests over, a Texas thing).

That means I will typically use 3 types of wine glassesand , 1 or 2 decanters.

The outcome is always the same. They can't believe how much they enjoy wine, they cant believe what the correct temprature can do for the wine, and they are really surprised how much wine they can consume and feel like it was the perfect compliment to the evening (instead of the token glass).

Now, my typical wine budget is $6 to $12 a bottle. When carefully selected and presented right, cheap wine can have better results than serving a $50 bottle of wine at the wrong temperature and in poorly selected glassware.

I do own some Riedels, but have various other sets I have gathered from here and there. There are some great inexpensive wine glasses out there, you have to just make some good decisions about the types.
Rocket Launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 06:14 AM   #9
ferdelance
Herf Meister

forget the glasses , give give me a bottle. , seriously though when i eat a meal and have a wine i usually drink it from a glass, something i picked up while cruising around Europe, you stop at a farm and that is how you would be served wine, i guess, i will just always have that poor farm mentality. , so if you come to visit me you will get rum not wine, but if you do get wine you'll have to drink it from a straight glass.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:40 AM   #10
x5andr6

I'm with you FdL!! I lived in Italy for about 10 years of my life and most Italians will serve you wine in a straight glass in their homes and even some local, Mom and Pop restaurants!

However, my wife and I love wine and we've collected 6 different types of wine glasses over the past few years. The glass does make a difference!
x5andr6 is offline   Reply With Quote