Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:52 AM   #1
richsmoke19

distilled water?

I know this is a true newbie question but thats exactly what i am. Is there a difference between distilled water and filtered botled water? If so what are the differences?

Thanks in Advance

Rich
Old 07-28-2004, 11:57 AM   #2
Rhino
Club Member

distilled water has all of the impurities, i.e. anything but H2O, removed. Tap water still has some chemicals from treatment and other substances still present within it that even with household filtration units it can remain in the solution. Distilled water is perfectly inert and pure.

I'm older in my mind than my body says, but I'm younger in my attitudes than my mind should allow.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:58 AM   #3
richsmoke19

Thanks Rhino! but what about Bottled water that has been filtered?
Old 07-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #4
Rhino
Club Member

Even bottled water still has tiny amounts of impurities present within it. If you left a cup of bottled water out and let it evaporate you'd see some sort of residue in the cup. Probably very slight, but still present.

I'm older in my mind than my body says, but I'm younger in my attitudes than my mind should allow.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #5
Rhino
Club Member

FYI: Distilled water is availible at most grocery stores for about 85-90 cents a gallon.

Old 07-28-2004, 12:17 PM   #6
jerdog

what about reverse osmosis? how does this compare to distilled water, thanks
jerry
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:24 PM   #7
malicxv
Club Member

correct me if im wrong, distilled water is basically water being boiled, caught as steam, cooled down to where it turns back into liquid. it has no minerals in, since its converted from steam. so it is just 2 parts hydrogen, 1 part oxygen. simple, h20.

bottled/purified water, etc. has just been ran through a filter, most likely a charcoal filter, to remove impurities it catches, but not EVERYTHING.

just run down to your grocery store, you can pick up a gallon for less than a buck, and it will last a long time.

Fun new game:
malicxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:07 PM   #8
davo1

A big difference is price. Distilled water a buck$ a gallon. Bottled water a buck$ a pint. Distilled for humidors. Bottled for drinking.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:15 PM   #9
richsmoke19

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys! I went to Walmart and bought a gallon of distilled water for 60 cents, I didn't know it was that cheap. Now i have another problem about a week ago i put bottled water in my Credo b/c i thaught it was the same as distilled water what should i do to clean the credo and get that bad bottled water out?

thanks in advance
Rich
Old 07-28-2004, 04:56 PM   #10
lucasbuck
Herf Meister

Don't worry about it. Just use distilled from now on