Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 02-26-2003, 05:55 AM   #1
mannish
Herf God

consuegra 843

I had a couple villazon seconds # 843 that I got years & years ago, decided to smoke one last night. I have never tried one. This one looked like maybe a Punch Grand Gru (if that is a VIllazon product...?) looked great light shade wrapper, construction looked great. I lit it up took a few draws nothing really happened but I did blow out smoke. There was zero taste, very mild nothing there. If I had not been in the hot tub I would thrown it away and got another cigar. I was kinda pissed, thinking why did I pick this cigar. I continued to smoke it, didn't have the refection/burn/ash of a Punch Grand Gru but was as mild or milder. Then as I smoked it developed a flavor sort of straight ahead tobacco but not strong, it was an improvement though. It was certianly not a dawg rocket but nothing I would care to smoke again at any price. It never tasted like a typical Villazon product. I do think fans of mild cigars would like it. I would say budget smokers would enjoy them but only if they are into mild cigars, I have had much better & cheaper cigars than this for my taste. I know they can be different brands the other one looks indentical & one that someone send me recently is darker. The darker one could have more flavor-strength.
mannish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 06:34 AM   #2
Hooko
Club Member

mannish, this is the exact same experience I had. I still have one in the humidor and it will stay there until I get tghe nerve to try one again.
Hooko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 07:35 AM   #3
MetsFan
Herf God

I put very little stock into reviews of seconds. The level of consistency is so much lower that a positive or negative review means little in my book.

Of course, that's just my opinion.
MetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 07:38 AM   #4
mannish
Herf God

I agree. The darker one is obviously not the same as the lighter one I tried I suspect it would fit my taste preference better.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:23 AM   #5
HBooker
Club Member

Well I for one will not second guess or even remark about the quality of some connies. Some lessions are learned and it only takes once....

Glad you got a good one mannish.

Hb

Raising teenagers is like nailing Jell-O to a Tree
HBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 07:08 PM   #6
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Are these the infamous ones you could seldom get that they no longer carry?

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 08:32 AM   #7
Shadow
Charter Member
Herf Meister

They be the ones, o green one!
Old 02-27-2003, 09:24 AM   #8
alfa

I walked through the lobby and sitting room of the Menger Hotel the other night. A gentleman there was smoking a PGC No. 2. It smelled wonderful.

I have most of a bundle of Connie 84's that are PGC No. 2 seconds, and a bundle of 843s that are Ult Pyramid XX seconds. Very happy with both for what they are.
alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 07:12 PM   #9
CHESS NUT
Club Member

Connies are a crap shoot. I've had bundles that were absolutely terrible, and other that were outstanding.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:06 AM   #10
mannish
Herf God

I think that's teh case with all seconds. One thing is for sure Villazon sure does produce a lot of seconds..

I wonder why some the other makers aren't producing much seconds or maybe they just ain't selling them.

I'd give a bundle of VSG or Anni seconds a try.