Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Philski

Temperature control question

Summer is blazing away here in London, and the temperature in my humidor has now reached 24C (that's about 75F). I'm not especially worried, but many of my boxes are there for long term ageing, so I really want to bring the temperature down a few notches.

I have a six-foot-or-so humidor with a couple of very shallow shelves for humidifying devices (although I use a Cigar Oasis). Does anyone have any good ideas to reduce the temperature actively? I mean, rather than move it to the coolest part of the flat (fortunately I live in a lower-ground floor flat, which is why the temperature is 24C and not 34C!).

I'm sure some of you guys in Texas and Southern California have a similar problem, any ideas?

- Chief Wiggum
Philski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

75 fucking degress?!?! How can you stand it?!?! I bet the humidty is just bloody, killing you!!!!!!! What is it--maybe 15%? :P

I'm just kidding with you/only joking around/no offense meant.

Although this will sound sarcastic, it is not meant to be--try an air conditioner. Maybe a very small, single room model, though it will tend to de-humidify the room, so watch out for the humidity. (Though, ya'll do tend to prefer your cigars at a lower humidity anyway.)

Here, we have 97 degress, with 93 % humidity, which makes it a heat index of about 107, but the wind chill factor of 94 degrees makes it quite comfortable.

You may find that the temperature does not stay very high for any length of time to actually worry about. If you have the convenience, check temperature and humidity in the morning before work, at lunch, then in the evening after work to find out when the temperature spikes.

If conventional wisdom is correct, as long as the temperature is not sustained at 75 or above for any real length of time, you should be OK.

Regardless, good luck.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
Philski

Well, the humidor temperature is 75F, and if I could sit in it all day I wouldn't worry. The outside temperature will be well into tho 90sF tomorrow with humidity dials set at 'pretty fuckin damp' - I know you guys get it much worse than us, but try taking the Tube in a suit and tie with the heat at over 100F and humidity feeling like 100%!

Thanks for tips anyway. I do have an airconditioning unit, but that is in my office to stave off mutiny and general insanity. I know, I know - putting human beings ahead of the welfare of my cigars is pure madness, but there you go. [/i]

- Chief Wiggum
Philski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

I understand.

You may be able to find a relatively inexpensive unit for that room of your flat and put it on a timer to come on at a particular time of the day and then shut off after a predetermined interval, all to keep your smokes comfortable (and the beetles AWAY).

It is fairly convenient around here as we have a Home Depot and a Wal-Mart for inexpensive units and convenient do-it-yourself supplies and equipment. Not quite sure how many Wal-Marts you have in London. :P

There are many ways to solve your problem, if you buy a very expensive device that regulates humidity AND temperature, but, like most of us, you already have your "set-up".

I was forced to relocate my humidors to another part of the house for this very purpose. Hopefully, your temperature problems will be very brief, with no infestations--knock on wood.

(The Tube sounds down-right salubrious, compared to what we have had the last 2 months, and expect to have for about 2 more.)
Old 07-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
ClancyDaBulldog
Club Member

To avoid problems related to the heat my cigars go to the basement (65-70 degrees) in the summer and then they make the trek back upstairs in late autumn. Yet another reason why I like coolerdors. :P
Old 07-24-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
LinoD

FYI. it was 121' F.(yes, you read right, One Hundred and Twenty One Degrees) in Woodland Hills CA a couple of days ago with over 40% humidity.

that's F-ing HOT.

AC is your best friend out here.
LinoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
chris12381

Got close to 110 in Mountain View, CA this past weekend. My AC was working overtime to keep my small but respectable bachelor pad below 80. I put some of those blue "ice" packs in the humidor during the day and back in the freezer at night. That rotation seems to do the trick.

Chris
Old 07-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
TR

just got my temp and humidity controlled cabinet...my smokes are resting at 62/62 even though it was 114 today....

the blue ice packs really do work. Just be sure to swap them out every day......
Old 07-26-2006, 05:47 AM   #9
audio1der
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClancyDaBulldog
To avoid problems related to the heat my cigars go to the basement (65-70 degrees) in the summer and then they make the trek back upstairs in late autumn. Yet another reason why I like coolerdors. :P
I don't think they have many basements over there, with the water table and all...
Cuban cigar snob #1.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote