Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2003, 08:00 PM   #1
qajariaq
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Replacing the 'seal' on a humidor?

I have a 100 ct. humidor that my girlfriend gave me as a Christmas gift. It was a "second" from a well known retailer, and so far I've been impressed with it. However, it doesnt hold humidity all that well. I had to move it to the basement for the summer since the temp indoors has been running around the high 70's, and its slowly loosing humidity because it doesnt seal all that well. The RH in the basement is around 40-50%.

I think that I just need to replace the seal, i.e. the 1/8" thick cedar in the lid that physically creates the seal when shut. The job looks as easy as getting the appropriate cedar strips, cutting them to fit, adding a radius to the bottom edge, and replacing what's already in the humidor. (In my humidor, the seal is separate from the lining.) Almost seems too simple, though. I took a quick look at the website HMS Richard posted in another thread, and creating this seal seems a lot more complicated.

Any advice from those with experience?

Since this humidor is a gift from my girlfriend, not using it could be life threatening...
qajariaq is offline   Reply With Quote