Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2007, 06:31 AM   #1
maierar

John Hay

First, my thanks to Torpnubber for making me aware of these cigars. I was intrigued enough by his suggestion to order a 5-pack ($12) from their web site.
They offer a variety of flavored cigars (not for me), I selected the Diplomat Maduro, a 6 X 46 from their PA maduro series.
It is a slightly pressed medium-firm cigar with a dry, PA broadleaf wrapper from Lancaster Co., PA binder, and CT, MD, and PA filler, machine made.
The appearance is slightly rustic, but not ugly. No prominent veins and no soft spots. The clip was clean with no raveling.
Pre-light, the draw was firm, but not tight, little flavor, but with that wonderful aroma of rich earth and tobacco curing barns.
It lit easily and drew well delivering plenty of smoke with a pleasant aroma.
The flavor was exactly as promised, rich sweet (not sweetened) maduro tobacco with a long, pleasant finish. It picked up some baking-spices as it progressed, but never lost that "this is why I love maduros" quality.
The cigar burned evenly, if not razor straight, with a grayish ash which held for an inch and a half. I smoked it to 1 inch without touch-ups or re-lights.
I dry-boxed the second one for 2 days, and the lower RH made the draw a little easier, but did not affect anything else.
Conclusion: A real sleeper. An excellent smoke, delicious flavor, at a good price. Highly recommended for a good everyday cigar, way above the "yard gar" catagory.
I smoked the first one with some Tennessee whisky and the second with a lightly roasted Ethiopian yergacheffe coffee. The cigar went well with both, neither overpowering nor being overpowered by either.
I plan on ordering a box of 50.
maierar is online now   Reply With Quote