Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
casManG
Starting Member

CI or other house blends good?

Hey guys, I was looking around at different sites and I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the Cigars International House Blends? The seem to be linked with the different real brands, like they are just branded with the CI label. In the catalog they have their CI Legends (by drew estate), and they have a sampler of their different CI label cigars. Also, Cigar.com seems to have their own House Blends.

Anyway, just trying to see if they are comparable?
Old 07-31-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
N99
Herf Meister

The Cigar.com house blends are mixed fill "sandwich" cigars. (at least the Brazilian maduro are)

The CI "legends" are good cigars (the ones I have tried are anyway) and I dig the Camacho, Rocky, Pepin and La Aurora the most. I do not know if they are mixed or long fill, although I would hope they are long fill.

Edit to add that Cigar.com and CI seem to be the same entity with different storefronts.

THINK, GADDAMIT!

gone bad (fff)
N99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
hockeymaniac
Herf Meister

The CI Legends are long fill and good cigars. Well, I didn't like the Drew Estate one. The Comacho, La Aurora, Rocky, and Perdomo are all good. Also check with Famous Smoke. They have many house brands which mostly seem to be made by Nestor Plasencia. The few I've had have been good. I tried the Cigar. com house blends and they didn't do anything for me. But that's just me, you might enjoy them. The games afoot.

Such a long long time to be gone and a short time to be here

"No, I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world shits on everybody. Pretending it ain't shit makes you an idiot, not an optimist."
hockeymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
mannish
Herf God

i have only tried the pepin CI legend and I prefer a smaller ring size, not something I would order again.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
mugzy
Starting Member

I sometimes find a good cigar trying different house blends. The problem is when you return to get more frequently they will be different.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

House blends that are cheap are a crap shoot. Lowest bidder sometimes, and not always a lot of effort expended on perfection. Nestor, as mentioned, does many, as does natsa. Matasa does a buttload of private labels for Fink's cigars. Every maker makes Fumas, cheap and off label, as well as some seconds lines, and private labels. That is an essential part of business, keeping people busy, using a constant flow of labor and materials, and adding volume to sales, when the flagship brands cycle up and down in demand. You can't buy a thousand bales of tobacco and find nothing but perfect leaves,you have to do something with the rest of it, and you can't run a business without buying thousands of bales.

I tip my hat to the JR ultimate. A terribly good cigar, but not cheap, and very rarely discounted.

Consuegras from JR are a fine price, as seconds, and in general, still well constructed and a good smoke.

The JR alternate is a cheaper bundled smoke at around $1.50 each, and certain numbers are said to be very good. Most of them that I have had have been fine, well constructed, and far better than many other cigars of that same price point.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
matalo

While not a house blend, per se, and not to rock the boat, too much, I offer you the cigar, when aged, tastes just like a fine ISOM.....Consuegra!

matalo
matalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
jpags

Quote:
Originally Posted by N99 View Post
The Cigar.com house blends are mixed fill "sandwich" cigars. (at least the Brazilian maduro are)

The CI "legends" are good cigars (the ones I have tried are anyway) and I dig the Camacho, Rocky, Pepin and La Aurora the most. I do not know if they are mixed or long fill, although I would hope they are long fill.

Edit to add that Cigar.com and CI seem to be the same entity with different storefronts.
They may be the same, but their prices aren't, Cigar.com charges $49.95 for a bundle of Flor De Oliva Robusto. At CI, it's $32.95.

Pags
jpags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

IMO, the best "house blend" I've tried yet - by a wide margin - is Old Henry. The line is blended exclusively for Holt's by Don Pepin Garcia, and while they're certainly not cheap, they are consistently excellent.

They're even better when they go on special.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

I'll put my money on theHonduran Bundles in Connecticut wrapper from Famous.