Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:00 AM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Good blends for noobs to try?

After several on-and-off times, I've made up my mind to start seriously pursuing pipes and pipe tobacco.

I've been reading all the necessary newbie FAQs and such, so I feel I'm sorta prepared to start teaching myself how to properly pack, light, and smoke a pipe.

So what I'm curious to know from you guys is what do you think are some good commercially-available pipe tobaccos that are mild enough, easy enough to smoke, and forgiving enough for a noob like me? Thanks in advance.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:12 AM   #2
Smogre
Club Member

I have to cast my vote for McClelland 5100 Red Cake.
It's mighty tastey stuff.
I find that it has enough sweetness to keep me happy and it's not very heavy or spicey.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Ted
Club Member

While 5100 is also one of my favorites, I would not recommend to newer pipe smokers. Straight Virginias, especially when young, lean toward tart flavors and biting tongue experiences.

I'd recommend some English and Balkan blends to start. These provide a good amount of flavor and body, especially for someone that already enjoys cigars. Try:

McClelland Frog Morton, Bulk #2040, #2045, #5110, #5125
Esoterica Penzance, Margate
Rattray Highland Targe
S.Gawith Squadron Leader

Captain Black Royal (a decent and widely available flavored aromatic)

Good luck.
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #4
Smogre
Club Member

Sage advice right there from Ted.
I forgot about the Frog Morton! I love that stuff.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:53 AM   #5
LabRatGDI
Herf God

I tend to disagree with English blends. First off, they're not a true tobacco taste with latakia in it. Secondly, that heavy, smokey flavor may put a first time smoker off.

I would try a mild aromatic such as MacBaren's Vanilla Cream or Captain Black Royal as Ted suggests. From there they can then venture into the realm of virginias, burleys, etc.

I first tried an English blend and it almost made me put the pipe down and never look back.

McClelland's 2015 would be a good start in the natural tobaccos, IMO.
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. -- Benjamin Franklin
LabRatGDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
wasch_24
Club Member

I'm not sure if the blend matters just as long as you keep an open mind and keep trying different blends until you figure out what you like or dislike.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #7
LabRatGDI
Herf God

Agreed, but I dont' think you'd want to start a first-time cigar smoker out on Ashton Virgin Sun Growns.
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-28-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Ted
Club Member

LabRat ... well, my opinion was based on the trial and errors that I took in my early pipe days. I smoked 5-10 cigars per week for several years before picking up the pipe. My first ventures were with aromatics and flavored blends and I found most smoked very hot, had marginal flavors at best and left my pipe a goopy mess.

I then tried various Latakia and Oriental blends. It's true the aroma from these is pungent and smoky, but the bolder flavors and cool smoking properties more than tilted the balance in their favor. It then took me almost a year of attempts before I really started enjoying straight Virginias. I found that aging the tobacco at least one year, using smaller pipes and a slower puffing style were needed for me to truly like this sweet leaf.

I have sampled a number of Virginia / Perque blends (like McClelland 2015) over the years, but found I did not care for the sour + spicy flavors that the Perique leaf brings to the mix. But like anything related to taste, it is best to try everything at least once.
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #9
mike toro

Dunhill Nightcap
McClelland Virginia Woods
mike toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:52 PM   #10
LabRatGDI
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
LabRat ... well, my opinion was based on the trial and errors that I took in my early pipe days. I smoked 5-10 cigars per week for several years before picking up the pipe. My first ventures were with aromatics and flavored blends and I found most smoked very hot, had marginal flavors at best and left my pipe a goopy mess.

I then tried various Latakia and Oriental blends. It's true the aroma from these is pungent and smoky, but the bolder flavors and cool smoking properties more than tilted the balance in their favor. It then took me almost a year of attempts before I really started enjoying straight Virginias. I found that aging the tobacco at least one year, using smaller pipes and a slower puffing style were needed for me to truly like this sweet leaf.

I have sampled a number of Virginia / Perque blends (like McClelland 2015) over the years, but found I did not care for the sour + spicy flavors that the Perique leaf brings to the mix. But like anything related to taste, it is best to try everything at least once.
Understood and agree 100% about their cool-smoking properties.

But like I've said many times here before...I'm just not a fan of Latakia since it leaves a taste in my mouth as if I've just licked our wood-burning stove clean.

No way I'd recommend Nightcap to a noob, however. Unless they've really taken the nicotine content down several notches as of late.