Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2004, 04:14 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Diplomaticos No.2 (2003)

"Promise"

Diplomaticos No.2 from Cuba
(dress box: 25)
Size: 6.13 inches by 52 ring gauge (Piramide) - Issued late 2003

Through the kindness of Cigar Weekly’s Basil, I was fortunate to be able to rekindle my familiarity with the Diplomaticos No.2. It had been quite some time since I’d last lit up one of these Piramides, and this fact heightened my curiosity and anticipation.

Cloaked in a Sienna brown Colorado Claro capa quite similar in tone to those of the November 2003 Montecristo No.2s in my possession, this cigar displayed a fair number of khaki veins and a single tiny green spot. Its semi-gloss surface appeared a tad rumpled and irregular, showing some minor stretch marks in the mid portion. One raised ridge ran approximately 2/3 of the length of the cigar, possibly a result of the box-press. And although the pattern of its tripa evidenced a very good assembly, the roll density fell just slightly into the loose range. As would be expected, this degree of softness in the fingers resulted in a relatively easy draw.

The ash grew cratered and pocketed as well as moderately flaky around the perimeter under the heat of ignition, and its outer portions tended to flare like the leaves of a plant. Nonetheless, the blackish to pale grey ash routinely held together an inch or so at a time before wanting to consider dropping.

Once lit, the Diplomaticos No.2 released an aroma initially dominated by bread-like yeastiness, but also exhibiting secondary uplifted nuances of cedar, fresh garden herbs and a demure earthiness. These subtle scents gradually gained depth, acquiring an added toasted tobacco and leather quality as well as a sprinkling of pepper and a hint of roasted nuts.

The flavour commenced in parallel fashion to the aroma, gentle and unassuming, with a high-toned cedar, fresh coriander and mild pepper grouping of characteristics riding above a core of baked tobacco leaf loaf and light, creamy Kenyan coffee with a dash of cocoa powder. For a brief moment, I almost thought I might be holding a Cuaba Distinguidos in my fingertips.

These two tiers of tastes remained quite distinct from one another for the longest time, and it was only around the midway point that the Piramide’s palate presentation began to integrate and deepen in tone. At this juncture, the overall flavour took on a tad heftier mocha java persona, the tobacco acquired greater toastiness and those ‘upper-register’ wood, herb and spice notes transformed into a pronounced lemon pepperiness. The tang of the latter was palpable, while the underlying power of the blend also escalated. I could now both feel and taste the effect of this increase in flavour tempo. And although that teasing touch of mocha never developed into the full-blown dark chocolate quality which older samples of this Piramide had offered up, it nevertheless managed to be both persistent and pleasing.

It was most interesting to view this contemporary version of the Diplomaticos, not only vis-a-vis earlier editions of the same vitola, but also against Montecristo No.2s of similar age. In comparison with the first, the Diplomaticos seemed much less chocolatey and full-bodied yet far more complex. In comparison with the Montecristo, it appeared less rounded as well as more angular, acidic and tannic. Clearly, it was going through a period of partial withdrawal.

This particular late 2003 issue of the Diplomaticos Piramide shows much potential for the future, and I would be only too happy to revisit it in 2 or 3 years time, at which time I sense the somewhat disparate flavour elements and the slightly unyielding underlying structure will have both mellowed and melded. The second half of my smoking session points to very promising days ahead.

Basil, thank you very much for a chance to revisit this underappreciated cigar.