Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

New Tatuaje 7th Natural Review

This cigar was a complete surprise to me. So I thought that it would be a Perfect cigar for review.

CIGAR: Tatuaje 7th Natural, a newer addition to the Brown label.

SIZE: Also new are the dimensions 5 5/8 X 46, now true Tat fans will recognise this size. When I first looked at it I said "Guapo" and it does indeed share that size as well as other names like Corona Extra, within various Tatuaje lines.

APPEARENCE: It does indeed "Look like a Tat". It's consistent coloring is spot on for the line. The well formed Triple Cap tops the rounded dome very well.

CONSTRUCTION: As one handles the cigar it has a substantial heft to it. A hallmark of the Tat cigars, Pete's not cheating anyone on tobacco. A smooth Parejo from top to bottom. A veiny wrapper certainly, but nothing out of the norm here.

PRE-LIGHT: I love the bouquet of this cigar, acres of cedar coming off of it. The first clip was shallow, but the second was just right. The draw is snug, but spicy. I am looking forward to this.

PAIRING: Today, just cola. Cain't complain just a dry day, thassall.

THE DEED: I have always liked the "Guapo" size. Not too big and not too small, juuuss right. I break out the All Copper Zippo for the honors. Wait, I know what You are thinkin....this one is equipped with a Z-Plus insert, so my retro lighter has joined the Jet Flame age, Perfect. As I char the Foot I receive a lovely cedar and earthy tobacco smell. It breathes to life with ease and instantly delivers spicy flavors. Also immediately to the party is a very nice White Pepper finish. This cigar was given to me by a Tat Rep who was opening a New Dealer account with The Tobacco Expo, in my neighborhood. The Owner and Terry and I talked for a few minutes about cigars. When I was about to leave Terry asked the Owner if He would mind if He gave me a cigar (thoughtful, since We all just met) and the Owner said that He absolutely would Not Mind. So, Terry pulled this cigar out of His traveling Humidor and presented it to me with a brief explanation of it. Despite being in the Brown Label Stable it is rolled in Nicaragua, not in Miami as the majority of the line is. The 7th also sports a new Habano Ecuadorian Wrapper, with the balance of the Binder and Filler being Nicaraguan. As far as price goes I've found them online for around $7 ea and box prices just over $200, YMMV.
This puppy is smoking very well now, at nearly one inch in. The Ash is grey white on the outside and speckled inside. It is a very Peppery smoke, but not overpowering. It is listed as medium, but let's face it, "Medium" for Tatuaje is Full to most everyone else.
The Ash is firm and I tap it off at 1 1/2 inches. The Cedar is still there, but mainly it's a nice spicy tone on all levels. The front, the back and on the finish. The Finish is not lengthy, but crisp and clean. The Draw has lessened and is only slightly tight. The burn wobbles a touch, but no corrections needed, as of yet. I'm looking forward to having a stocking dealer for these, locally. Next week sometime they should arrive. It will be nice to have this Brand at my finger tips. The Browns and the Cojonu 2003's were on my stocking suggestions for the Owner.

At 2 inches, this is a very well mannered cigar. Clean tobacco and spice, but not as in Your Face as some in the line are. I like both Full/Full cigars and Med/Full smokes. This is definitely Medium/Full, but very well mannered. It is smoking nice and cool, with a stable Draw. I know several people who think that all Tat products are Powerhouses and there certainly are some, but this seems to be a very accessible profile, more about Flavor than Power. It would also follow that age would only enhance that aspect. This 7th has not once ventured out of bounds of the med power range, but it is Full of Flavor. I tap off another block of ash. The band slides off easily (Thank You!) so no Wrapper damage there. The three inch mark brings a nice transition, the spice fades a bit and that makes way for the Clean Tobacco and Cedar to be on the main stage. The finish remains the White Pepper but at slightly reduced levels, interesting. Just over halfway through I clip the Head again. Now at full diameter, the draw opens up a bit more. About a half an inch after the mellower transition, the Spice comes back on. If You are a Fan of Good Nicaraguan Tobacco You are really gonna like this smoke. Coming close to the end it heats up a touch, so I slow down. In the last inch and a half, the Flavor stayed consistant and never became bitter or rough. It was Well Mannered to the end.

CLOSING THOUGHTS: Lately it seems that Cigar Producers are cranking out new cigars left and right. Sometimes, just for the sake of having a new Band on the shelves. This cigar is not like that. It's a cigar that adds another dimension to an already solid line. It is adding variety and depth to the Brown line. I forgot to say Quality and that shouldn't be left out. It's a New Size a New Blend and yet another option fot Us to choose from. For a fresh cigar it smoked very well and had a nice flavor change to boot. I'm already looking forward to my next one. I would call that another Winner For Pete and the Tatuaje Gang.

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody

Last edited by bsslack; 02-20-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: pricing addition.
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote