Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 07-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #801
jeepdad
Club Member

Jason, that sounds delicious! Send a recipe my way brother!

Got home from Camp Lejuene this afternoon. My Bride made street tacos with leftover pulled pork and all the fixins. This meal was the seasons first use of tomatoes and jalapenos from the garden. My wife was at the grocery store to buy some tortillas for this meal and noticed a new tort called "Street Tacos" it's simply a smaller tort. Damn fun to eat!
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #802
Shadow
Charter Member
Herf Meister

Grilling steaks and vegetables along with pasta and seaweed salad.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:21 AM   #803
Shadow
Charter Member
Herf Meister

Last night my daughter's boyfriend fixed grilled salmon marinated with miso and eel sauce with rice and seaweed salad. Not a big salmon fan but damn it was good.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #804
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdad View Post
Jason, that sounds delicious! Send a recipe my way brother!

Got home from Camp Lejuene this afternoon. My Bride made street tacos with leftover pulled pork and all the fixins. This meal was the seasons first use of tomatoes and jalapenos from the garden. My wife was at the grocery store to buy some tortillas for this meal and noticed a new tort called "Street Tacos" it's simply a smaller tort. Damn fun to eat!
Not sure youd want this one, Dan. The squash and the aromatics leeched out so much moisture that it took the egg binder into the casserole dish with it. The stuffing was soggy, the parmesan never got crispy, and to my mind, it was a total failure. I know what I did wrong and how to fix it. Haste makes waste. We choked our way through it. The flavor was good, but the texture sucked.

I will say that if you go to a thrift store and see the Junior League, plastic spiral bound cookbooks, buy them. All of them contain old home recipes that are proven and you aren't likely to find anything like them anywhere. Through marriage and collecting, I've ammassed about 30 of them from across the South and they are worth their weight in whatever you value. This was not one of those recipes, but it was a quickie riff on it.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

Last edited by BigO; 07-13-2019 at 01:33 PM.
BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:58 PM   #805
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Fresh wahoo pan seared with capers, leeks, garlic butter homemade fettuccini noodles and mixed steamed veggies. Best part was the fact it was only 250 pesos .
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #806
jeepdad
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Not sure youd want this one, Dan. The squash and the aromatics leeched out so much moisture that it took the egg binder into the casserole dish with it. The stuffing was soggy, the parmesan never got crispy, and to my mind, it was a total failure. I know what I did wrong and how to fix it. Haste makes waste. We choked our way through it. The flavor was good, but the texture sucked.

I will say that if you go to a thrift store and see the Junior League, plastic spiral bound cookbooks, buy them. All of them contain old home recipes that are proven and you aren't likely to find anything like them anywhere. Through marriage and collecting, I've ammassed about 30 of them from across the South and they are worth their weight in whatever you value. This was not one of those recipes, but it was a quickie riff on it.

Roger. I agree I have several of those type cookbooks and enjoy them.
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:37 AM   #807
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Baby back ribs. I'm smoking some homemade bacon while I'm at it. These were $1.77/lb and they're going back down to $1.66 this weekend. China's embargo on American pork products is starting to have an effect. Loins have been in THE $1.60 range most of the summer.

Since big price hikes usually follow, I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #808
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Burgers. Brisket and chuck. Ground it myself this morning. Rallys seasoned fries.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #809
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

It was going to be shrimp pad Thai, but that was before traffic and construction on I20 east made a 90 minute trip into 4 hours. I have leftover stir fry and that is going to have to do. We can all pitch in and make pad Thai tomorrow.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #810
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Grilled bacon wrapped sea bass on a bed of arugula with a side of potato wedges cooked in duck fat.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote