Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2005, 06:07 AM   #1
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I'm in Love . . .

with a new cigar. I recently bought a box of RP Edge Torpedos (maduro). Although I had intended to let them sit for 2 weeks, that plan ended last night. When I went to the humidor I wasn't sure what I was going to smoke. But, when I lifted the lid and noticed an Edge sitting there I just couldn't resist. This cigar, which is bandless, is absolutely gorgeous. It is very well constructed and I think the fact that it has no band adds to it's character.

After clipping it I took a few pre-light draws. I was somewhat surprised, as I expected it to be stronger. It tasted very good, but didn't seem that strong. When I lit this baby and took my first draw, I knew I was in for a pleasant evening. I could immediately taste some spiciness and it was very flavorful. Although I have been smoking for 4 years, I still can't put words to the flavors I am tasting. To me, the cigar either tastes good or it doesn't. This cigar definitely falls in the good category.

Although the Edge was spicey, it did not seem overally strong and it certaily was not harsh. It was very smooth. In fact, I don't think I have ever had a cigar that was so smooth. Each puff resulted in a mouthful of heavy smoke that was almost chewy. The burn was completely even all the way to the nub and the ash was solid. This was one cigar that I savored, smoking it nice and slow. In fact, this torpedo lasted almost 2.5 hours!

The only problem I encountered was that I had to relight several times. I'm not sure if it went out because I was smoking it so slow or whether it was still wet from shipping. But, it never took on a bitter taste at all, which sometimes occurs after relighting.

While I did not think the cigar was very strong while smoking it, I believe the smoothness hid it's strength. After I was done, and started walking around, I could clearly sense a buzz and felt a little lightheaded. Nothing too bad, but it was present.

This is probably the best cigar I have ever had. And, since these can be bought, with a little diligence, at around $70 a box, they are a bargain. I must confess that I have only had 3 Cubans, and the last one was over 2 years ago. But, this cigar was the best that I have ever had.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote