Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2003, 06:04 AM   #1
moob
Herf Meister

Your Childhood Hockey Story Here

I grew up in a small town/rural area. All my friends played hockey but we played on frozen ponds and creeks (pronounced "cricks"). Most times I would hike to a local pond (about 1 to 2 miles but sometimes my old man would give me a ride and I had to walk back) and put on my skates and play. One year a kid's dad made an ice rink in their yard and that was perhaps the very best year for hockey inmy village (I had my only hat trick that year).
We had no pads, although one kid had gloves and was the envy of us all. You always had to drag a shovel along with your skates and stick to clear the ice. Sometimes the ice was perfect (glare ice) and other times it was crap. We basically did not play with the icing rule. It was football on skates as checking was rampant and getting thrown or throwing someone into a snow bank was fun. Very few fights broke out if any. We played goalie with a baseball glove for a mit (first basemen). The skates never fit right, my feet were always cold and I never broke my northland stick. In fact, I still have my vintage 1973 northland (orininal tape and all). Spending hours taping up your stick was the most important ritual of all.

What's your story?