Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

Burgers

How do you make your burgers?

Do buy ground meat and form the patties by hand or do you buy the pre-formed burgers?

Me: I have a plastic lid from a discarded container. The lid is 4 1/2 inches in diameter and 5/8 inches deep. I place a sheet of aluminum paper in the lid, then add the meat and form the patty. I then wrap the patty in the aluminum foil and freeze for future use. Yes, the wrapped patties are placed in storage freezer containers.
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

I almost always buy ground sirloin and form the patties by hand. It's lean meat, so avoiding overcooking is critical. I don't do pre-formed patties.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
carmine7075
Herf God

Ground chuck, hand patty.

Going to start grinding my own as soon as I can add a good grinder to kitchen inventory.

Last edited by carmine7075; 09-03-2012 at 09:25 AM.
carmine7075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

"ground sirloin"

I'll have to try the sirloin. I mormally 80% lean ground beef.

I also make patties out of ground turkey, or ground pork and just today, I made burgers from ground veal.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I do them a lot of different ways. Sometimes buffalo or lamb. Sometimes I buy the pre-made patties, make it from ground beef (IMO 80/20 is the only way to go for a juicy burger), or buy a chuck roast and grind it myself with my Kitchen Aid attachment grinder (does an excellent job, btw, and less than $50). Sometimes I'll even add a panade (milk-soaked white bread) if I'm using really lean meat. Almost always grill them.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Ground round or chuck, whichever is on sale, hand patty, grill or fry on the stove. A meat market owner I know was making burger one day when I was in the shop. He showed me how they mix it and they don't always use just the fat that comes on the meat, he had chunks of fat (I assume beef) that he threw in the grinder as well. I like roasting my own coffee but I'll leave the burger grinding to the experts.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
flipflop
Contributing Editor
CW Butt Whisperer
Herf God

Buffalo, venison, lamb or a combo of these and form the patties by hand.

Sometimes I'll add things like mushrooms, scallions, red peppers, jalapenos, pulverized tortilla chips, etc.
-- Ghengis Khan
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvfanmc View Post
How do you make your burgers?

Do buy ground meat and form the patties by hand or do you buy the pre-formed burgers?

Me: I have a plastic lid from a discarded container. The lid is 4 1/2 inches in diameter and 5/8 inches deep. I place a sheet of aluminum paper in the lid, then add the meat and form the patty. I then wrap the patty in the aluminum foil and freeze for future use. Yes, the wrapped patties are placed in storage freezer containers.
I make the burgers this way because I'll make about 24 or 30, fry or grill (in door grill) and freeze the rest for future use.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Herf
Club Member

Always out of 80/20 and always by hand press (mostly for portion control). Grill during the summer and pan fried in the winter. Not too choosy about the cut. It is just a hamburger after all.
Herf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #10
Lord Nikon
Club Member

I also do 80/20...sometimes premade patties sometimes I make my own. It really just depends on how lazy I'm feeling that day.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote