Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Take action in Congress now for cigars

http://capwiz.com/rtda/issues/alert/...67501&queueid=[capwiz:queue_id]

IPCPR is trying to get cigars exempted from the FDA's regulatory authority and have a bill in Congress to do just that. The link above is to a form that makes it easy to tell your representatives how you feel about it. Act now!

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

http://forums.cigarweekly.com/showthread.php?t=163097

Posted there, too.

Quote:
Here We Go. Let's encourage our Congressmen/women to sponsor this legislation.

It's long, but read it anyway, from Glynn Loope. The IPCPR has already got form letters, and such ready for you to utilize.

Quote:
A New Day for National Cigar Politics – Time for some Offense, for a Change –

By J. Glynn Loope, Executive Director
Cigar Rights of America
We first wrote about the potential impact of FDA regulation of tobacco, and its hypothetical impact on premium cigars on June 12, 2009. After a decade of Congressional debate, many got what they wanted – federal oversight of tobacco products. On a vote of 307-97 in the House of Representatives, 79-17 in the Senate and a signature by President Obama, a new era in tobacco politics was launched.

Then, on October 2, 2009 (and again on December 4, 2009), we called upon you – CRA members from across the nation – to submit your comments to FDA as to why premium cigars should not be regulated. In response, you wrote sincere, personal, and well versed notes to FDA as to why cigars, are different.

This was during the agency's first Public Comment Period, as to how they should implement The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. We knew it wouldn't be long for this activist federal bureaucracy to get to cigars. They, proved us right.

On May 21, 2010, CRA disclosed the apparent conflicts of interest and internal political maneuvering at FDA's Center for Tobacco Products and its “Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee,” and how the nonpartisan watchdog group Center for Regulatory Effectiveness was calling for greater transparency in the regulatory process with regard to tobacco. Then, on June 11, 2010, we released the noted conflict of interest by members of the Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee, as identified by another Washington, DC public interest group, Citizens for Responsibility & Ethics.

The game changed on April 26, 2010 and December 20, 2010 when FDA publicly posted their intent to regulate cigars in the Federal Register. We knew then, our passion for a great cigar was in the FDA political crosshairs. Something has to be done. It starts, now.

Last week, House Resolution 1639 was put in motion in the U.S. House of Representatives, under the banner of the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act . This bi-partisan legislation would decree that premium cigars should be off limits to FDA regulation and, ‘to clarify the U.S. Food & Drug Administration's jurisdiction' in the ‘sale, manufacturing and distribution of traditional and premium cigars.'

Such legislation could have a profound impact on protecting this industry, from the fields and factories of Central America , to the supply-chain throughout this nation, to your community tobacconist, to enjoying a cigar in your local shop, club or back porch.

CRA commends U.S. Representatives Bill Posey (chief patron) of Florida, Ken Calvert of California, Kathy Castor of Florida, Tom Cole of Oklahoma and Candice Miller of Michigan for their principal sponsorship of this legislation.

This effort has been in the works for a while. The preamble to this initiative was an outstanding joint letter to FDA Commissioner Dr. Margaret Hamburg of August 3, 2010, requesting that the agency ‘distinguish' premium cigars from other tobacco products in the regulatory process. Eleven members of Congress, in a very bi-partisan manner, signed that letter. It was a great opening volley.

Following that, Florida U.S. Senator Bill Nelson, Congresswomen Kathy Castor and Ileana Ros-Lehtinen also of Florida wrote Commissioner Hamburg with the message that because cigars are different, as they are “smoked in moderation” and not marketed to youth, that this is why “Congress did not focus on cigars” when they wrote the Act. This was followed by a similar letter on October 12, 2010 by Congressman (Doctor, as in M.D.) Charles Boustany of Louisiana , with a similar message.

On December 1, 2010 former U.S. Senator George LeMieux of Florida also wrote the FDA Commissioner with this message, and on December 20, 2010, former U.S. Congressman Kendrick Meek also wrote Commissioner Hamburg with the message, “It is vital to keep these important distinctions in mind,” as it implements the Act.

We can assure you, nothing could rip the soul of the cigar industry apart, like FDA actions. For example, some of the (again) hypothetical possibilities, but that are not beyond the realm of reason include: No more walk in humidors (Canadian model); Limits on advertising and promotions; Banning the very word cigar or tobacco ; Manufacturers having to submit blends to FDA for “testing,” before heading to your local shop – imagine the impact on boutique cigar makers; Adverse impact on flavored tobacco products; And price impact due to new fees on manufacturers. This, is the short list.
IPCPR Legislative Action Alert
Click it to send directly to your legislators.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 04-25-2011 at 12:50 PM.
TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Gene
Club Member

E Mail sent!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #4
DeadmanLiving
Club Member

Email response I received.

Quote:
Dear Mr. Remington:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Job Preservation Act (H.R. 1639). This bill would reduce regulatory burdens on the premium cigar industry by clarifying the Food and Drug Administration's jurisdiction to regulate and impose fees on the cigar industry.

While there is no doubt that tobacco products pose harm, I am also mindful that small businesses are already being overwhelmed by regulatory burdens, and the prospect additional user fees and heightened regulation may have unintended consequences. H.R. 1639 has been referred to the House Energy and Commerce Committee for further consideration. I will keep your views in mind should this legislation come to the House floor for a vote.

Check out my new Blog
DeadmanLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

NICE!!

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
kydsid

Sent my repsonse in and posted, even as much as I dislike it, to my Facebook page.

If Facebook and Twitter work for the Egyptians, Libyans and Syrians why not us!
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
DeadmanLiving
Club Member

This statement just goes to show the lack of proper education/lobbying (from the cigar industry) about the unfounded "harm" from smoking cigars.

Quote:
While there is no doubt that tobacco products pose harm....

Check out my new Blog
DeadmanLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Gene
Club Member

Just heard from my Rep:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Borowski,

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 1639, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011. It's good to hear from you.

H.R. 1639 was introduced by Representative Bill Posey (FL-15) on April 15, 2011. As you know, this bill would protect the small businesses and jobs that make up this fragile, intimate industry.

This bill is an example of reversing Washington's trend to impose job-killing regulations that hurt businesses large and small, and ultimately hurt our nation's ability to competitive in our global economy. H.R. 1639 has been referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce. Rest assured I will keep your views in mind as the House continues our pro-growth, job creating agenda in the 112th Congress.
Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and concerns. I invite you to follow me on Facebook and Twitter to keep up on the latest news from Washington. Should you have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact my office in Washington, D.C. at 202-25-3371 or in Staten Island at 718-351-1062.

Sincerely,

Michael G. Grimm
Member of Congress
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Damn, that's nice.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
Cigary43

The sincerity from some of our elected officials tends to bring a tear to my eye.