Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
AKDiscer

Cutters

I figured since I started a thread about every other thing, that I'd post this topic as well. Also, it was at the suggestion of another CW member, but I can't find the thread to give direct credit I'm sure he'll find this thread, though.

I brought this topic up last night at my B&M and there were some very decided brands that they like.

The big thing was that most wouldn't deal with anybody that had a bunch of stipulations on returns if something failed. Xikar, Prometheus, and Palio have life time warranties and a "no questions asked" return policy. I heard bad things about Colibri in that they have a conditional return with a lifetime warranty. On top of that, some gave stories about Colibri and how they were a major pain in the ass to deal with, like pulling teeth.

BTW, I'm thinking of buying a Palio, I got a $100 gift card on Amazon.com and places are selling this piece. I got to fondle one when I was in Florida, my mom's boyfriend had one and let play with it. I must say that thing is sharp and has a very positive, and ergonomic feel to it.

I'm just looking for people's favorites, why, and if they've ever had to deal with customer service. If you did deal with customer service, how was your experience?
Old 12-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Poohdvm
Club Member

I had a Xikar cutter that got chewed up by my Golden retreiver. I mean tooth dents in the blade chewed up. Sent to the company to see if they could repair it with a note that I know this is not their fault and if it can't be fixed I would buy another one. I got an e-mail from them a few days later letting me know my new cutter was in the mail. Can't get much better customer service than that.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
mannish
Herf God

I have an Xikar and a bunchs of others

but my favorite one by far, not even close is one I apparently got free that is a Bahia promotional thing. It's rubberized not plastic been using it about 7 or 8 years now. My Xikar and others stay in the drawer, the beat up dirty orange Bahia is used daily

great cutter have no idea what brand it is but best I have owned not even close
Old 12-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Xikar has great service. I've broken one, it was replaced (dropped it and the button sheared off as it his concrete. I do think they had better cutters when they used Solingen steel, the Chinese just isn't the same to me, but it is the same no problem return/guarantee.

I thought Colibri ended up as part of Xikar, doesn't mean the same returns though.

I've lost a LOT of cutters over the years so I tend to use cheap cutters. I have a very nice DuPont that I keep in the car. I have had Xikar, Davidoff (very nice cutter) and a zillion cheaper cutters. I have really liked swiss army knife cigar cutters. There is nothing quite like realizing you left a really nice lighter or cutter on a bar, or you handed it to someone and they walked off and you never see them again. That's a big reason for my not carrying around a high end cutter (I have a nice freebie sent to me with an order from Smoke Inn that I am using these days most of the time)

I have found that a cheap one that cuts well is worthy of carrying around. And I don't feel bad when it disappears.

Some of the high end stuff, yes it is great, but sometimes it seems people buy them to show off. Maybe I am funny that way, very possible I am.

As a newbie I would think you would start out trying a lot of cigars and focusing on learning the cigars, the cutter and lighter would seem to maybe be down the road decisions. But it is your money and I wish you well on your journey.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
mannish
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
Some of the high end stuff, yes it is great, but sometimes it seems people buy them to show off. Maybe I am funny that way, very possible I am.

As a newbie I would think you would start out trying a lot of cigars and focusing on learning the cigars, the cutter and lighter would seem to maybe be down the road decisions. But it is your money and I wish you well on your journey.

I agree with this post
Old 12-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

I've got a bunch of cheap cutters that gather dust. I have three really good cutters.

Xicar Xi 2: Original, Solingen steel blades. I won't ever send this one back to the factory because they use Chinese steel these days. Very good cutter.

Swiss Army Knife: Bought it used ~10 years ago. Excellent engineering, great quality cut. Very good cutter.

Palio: Now ~7-8 years old, and the only cutter I've used with any regularity since I bought it. Perfect cut every time, except for user error. Nothing is perfectly idiot-proof. Excellent cutter.

So I think you know which one I'd recommend.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
beevod
Herf God

Zino guillotine, an elegant cutter that's a joy to use. I've had it for years.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
spiridon
Herf God

Xikar is my favorite, mainly due to their lifetime guarantee and customer service. I enjoy their Xi series, their v-cutter and their little scissors tool.
I would still like to try a palio.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
jgbutler
Herf Meister

I had a couple of cheap guillotine cutters when I first got started smoking cigars. Since then I've only purchased two cutters, one of the original Palio cutters and a Xikar Xi 2. Those two are all that I have used since with the Palio probably used 85% of the time. Both still give a perfect cut every time!
Old 12-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #10
Loyoyo
Club Member

I've kept a Zino double blade guillotine in my truck for 10 years. I use it daily and it still cuts like new.

On my desk at home, I've got a 15 year old Xikar Xi1 that also sees daily use. The blades were starting to jam a little, so I took it apart last night and cleaned it. I broke it down completely and cleaned everything with denatured alcohol, wiped a little WD-40 on the blades and locking mechanism, put it back together and it still works great.
Loyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote