Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:00 AM   #1
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I'm thinking about smoking a pipe again

I bought my first and only pipe about 10 years ago. My then girlfriend, now my wife, hated it from the moment I bought it. She doesn't like the "look" of a guy with a pipe. But since I smoke in my Man Cave it really doesn't matter what she thinks.

I smoked it a dozen times or so, trying different tobacco, most of which was gifted to me by people in this group, but never really got into it. I still have most of that tobacco, which has been stored in mason jars. It wasn't the flavor or taste of pipe tobacco that drove me away. It was the fact that the smoking experience was different. I can deal with the added work required, such as filling the bowl, but I found that a cigar just burns better, more consistently, and, most importantly to me, provides more smoke.

Does the type of pipe used make a difference? Is there a pipe that will provide a more cigar like smoking experience using pipe tobacco?

Thanks for any info guys.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:40 AM   #2
beevod
Herf God

Not really. I smoke both -- pipe and cigar -- each is utterly different. Others on this board may not agree.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:35 AM   #3
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

There are definitely some tobaccos that are more cigar like in flavor. Also certain types of tobaccos seem to be better in specific pipe shapes. More a matter of wider shorter bowl vs. Taller more narrow bowl. I think the heaviest cigar like tobaccos, like the Gawith ropes, do better in a short wide bowl like a small pot, bulldog, or Rhodesian.
JLOH #19
ak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I'm not talking about flavor so much. I'm talking mostly about the quantity of smoke. When I've smoked a pipe it seems I end up taking more frequent "sips," whereas with a cigar I take less frequent draws of a larger quantity of smoke. I was wondering if the type of pipe might change the way one smokes the tobacco. I'd rather take less frequent draws with a larger quantity of smoke.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Hey Rob, I find pipe tobacco that is smoked too wet tends to yield less smoke per puff. I tend to smoke my pipe tobacco on the dry side. This tends to create more smoke per puff. I also find tobaccos free from flavorings tend to create more smoke per puff. Smoking pipe tobacco is more of a sipping experience compared to cigar smoking. You will always get a lot more smoke per puff when smoking cigars. If you want stronger flavors per puff, you will need to smoke stronger tasting pipe tobacco.
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I think part of it is that I need to get used to it and do it more often. I'm going to just get to it. I have a lot of different pipe tobacco to try and maybe I'll discover one that fits what I'm looking for.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #7
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
I have a lot of different pipe tobacco to try and maybe I'll discover one that fits what I'm looking for.
What tobaccos do you have? Which ones do you like so far?
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:42 PM   #8
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLR View Post
What tobaccos do you have? Which ones do you like so far?
To be honest, it's been so long since I've smoked my pipe I couldn't tell you. I have dozens of small samples that members of this group sent to me years ago. I'm just going to start trying them out and note the ones I like and the ones I don't. And then go from there.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:24 PM   #9
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

Start with some ribbon and shag cut tobacco, usually comes ready to smoke or on the drier side. Pack it right and you'll get tons of smoke even sipping it. C&D has a lot of ribbon cut tobaccos that are dry right out of the tin.
JLOH #19
ak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:42 PM   #10
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2000 View Post
Start with some ribbon and shag cut tobacco, usually comes ready to smoke or on the drier side. Pack it right and you'll get tons of smoke even sipping it. C&D has a lot of ribbon cut tobaccos that are dry right out of the tin.
I'll keep those in mind. I'll probably weed through all the samples I currently have first. I have a lot.