Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 06-29-2004, 06:39 AM   #1
Buckwheat

Looking for info on the 52 bottle Magic Chef Wine Cooler as

Hi,

I'm looking for information/experence from anyone who is using the 52 bottle Magic Chef wine cooler (the one they sell at Home Depot) as a humidor. Thanks in advance!!
Buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:53 AM   #2
n2advnture
Banned

A couple of topics down:
http://forums.cigarweekly.com/viewtopic.php?t=67953

www.sears.com has the Kenmore on sale until July 2nd for $149
n2advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:02 AM   #3
Buckwheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2advnture
A couple of topics down:
http://forums.cigarweekly.com/viewtopic.php?t=67953

www.sears.com has the Kenmore on sale until July 2nd for $149
Hi n2,

Thanks for the info but I'm trying to find someone who actually has and uses the Magic Chef 52 bottle wine cooler as a humidor. Looking for direct experience with this cooler. Pros & cons, etc...
Old 06-29-2004, 07:24 AM   #4
n2advnture
Banned

Someone in that thread recommended/uses the Magic Chef.
n2advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:31 AM   #5
Buckwheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2advnture
Someone in that thread recommended/uses the Magic Chef.
I think that they have the Franklin Chef which is a thermoelectric unit. I believe (but can't confirm) that the Magic Chef is a condenser unit. Thanks
Old 06-30-2004, 07:18 AM   #6
Buckwheat

Received great information from HomeBrew about this wine cooler. Thanks a bunch HomeBrew. You da man!!
Old 06-30-2004, 09:13 AM   #7
Mr. Mild
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat
Received great information from HomeBrew about this wine cooler. Thanks a bunch HomeBrew. You da man!!
Any chance you can share?
Mr. Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:59 AM   #8
Buckwheat

Hi Mr. Mild,

I just have to get clearance from Homebrew. Thanks

Buckwheat
Old 06-30-2004, 10:30 AM   #9
Buckwheat

Clearance received (just hate to post a private message). I hope that it helps...

"Buckwheat,

I haven't actually put the Magic Chef unit into service yet, but as I mentioned in my post I have other wine fridges running with no problems along with a full size fridge that has been running as a temp controller humidor for more than 2 years.

For temp control, I use a separate controller. You may have read about them in other posts. Mine was purchased from Williams Brewing, they are actually made by Johnson controls. I set the temp to 68 degrees. Your ideal temp can vary depending on your climate and conditions in the room where the fridge will be kept. If you have a basement of similar area that is naturally a little cooler than other areas, this would be an ideal location. The basic idea is to have the compressor run as little as possible to maintain a temperature below 70 degrees. I found that my Haeir unit would maintain 65 degrees without the external temp controller. However, the unit seemed to be running constantly. The external controller took care of the problem and my electronic thermometer/hygrometers are recording temps between 66-68 with little variation.

The wine fridges do have auto defrosters built in. While I was able to disconnect the defrost heater on the full size fridge, I didn't disconnect the defrosters on the wine fridges. Initially, I did have condensation problems with the units. They would gather condensation on the rear wall where the condenser coils were located. I solved the problem by running two small 110 volt fans in the unit. They are attached to the underside of the shelves and are angled slightly to blow air directly on the rear wall of the unit. The fans are wired together and plugged into an external timer which turns them on approximately 10 minutes per hour.

For humidification, I use generic beads. Climaxx beads are the proper brand and are conditioned to provide 65 - 70% humidity. However, some of the synthetic cat litters are the same chemical composition. I run 3 small containers spread out through the unit. It's about 1 pound total of humidification media. You probably won't need that much once the unit is conditioned. I don't have any cedar shelves or liners, just the cigar boxes themselves. When I set up the Magic Chef unit, I may go to thin, flat cedar shelves as the shelves that come with the unit are shaped to hold wine bottles. The Haier unit came with flat shelves.

In my experience, people get far too anal about the humidity swings caused by the refrigeration compressor. Yes, the air does dry out when the compressor runs, but it quickly recovers. Cigars that are stored in their boxes absorb and hold humidity extremely well. The humidity fluctuations experienced by your cigars will be very small. The inside of the unit would have to be extremely dry for days at a time to actually affect the cigars. As proof, measure humidity inside the cigar boxes that are placed in the wine fridge.

Once you set up the unit with the fans and humidification, start adding cedar boxes. It may take a couple of weeks to condition and stabilize.

Good luck with the project, it should work out fine. If you need additional info, just ask.

HomeBrew"
Old 06-30-2004, 01:15 PM   #10
Mr. Mild
Club Member

Thanks, guys.
Mr. Mild is offline   Reply With Quote