Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
GD

GL Pease's Westminster is one that stands out to me as soapy. Took me about 4 bowls before I got accustomed to it. Milder and sweeter than Penzance, without as much spice.

One of the problems that newbie pipe smokers have, and one of the reasons they have trouble smoking an entire bowl without constant tamping and relighting, is because they simply have yet to master the art of packing a bowl.

With a cigar, you simply snip the head, light the foot, and you're good to go. But pipe tobacco has different cuts, cakes, flakes, coins, plugs, and ropes. I still remember opening 1792 for the first time and being completely bewildered about what the heck I was supposed to do with it. Same thing with the ropes... Brown Rope #4 is one of my all time faves, but when I first got some... I had no clue.

I personally use either the Bob or Frank method depending on the cut of the tobacco. You can find demonstrations for both on Youtube.
GD is offline   Reply With Quote