Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
Master Gates
Club Member

Question on beads

For some reason I was thinking of this today, and forgive me if its already been discussed...

I really liked the idea of beads because of the rock solid humidity they give, but in my cabinet, it seemed as though they just would not be able to hold enough water to not require recharging often.

So, my question is this.....how much water will one pound of beads hold? In other words, what is the mass difference between fully dry beads and fully saturated ones?
Master Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Carcosa

I'm not much of a purist, but I just bagged a pound of beads, gave them a very quick spritz of distilled water, and then set them in the cooler with two shot glasses of distilled water. Every other month or two I'll put in another shot glass, but the beads seem to find and hold their own equilibrium without any fuss on my part.

Also, to ensure that the beads can both give and take I'd think you would only want about 50% saturation once the humidity has stabilized. Maybe other folks have differing opinions, but the reason I stick with the beads is that they require very little attention on my part.

I have no idea what the exact math is on a pound of beads, but if I found myself doing more than trivial maintenance I'd expect it had more to do with the container than the beads.
Carcosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
Carcosa

Apologies, I think I misread your post. I would think that with the proper amount of beads for a given volume, the maintenance required would be a function of how often the humidity was disturbed by opening the humidor and how susceptible the humidor was to the surrounding environment. I imagine those two variables will be different for everyone.
Carcosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
nunee
Club Member

Re: Question on beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Gates
So, my question is this.....how much water will one pound of beads hold? In other words, what is the mass difference between fully dry beads and fully saturated ones?
So, I am not sure your question is 100% relevant, as you would never want your beads 100% saturated. If they were they would not be able to absorb humidity, only release it.

How much water can a bead hold? Hmmmmm, interesting question. But why? Are there maximum weight limits on your humidor?

Beads don't need ALL that much water......
Old 02-25-2008, 05:21 AM   #5
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Re: Question on beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Gates
Assuming that they come fully desaturated, the difference is one ounce...if you're following directions.

At least that's what the pound of 65% beads I just got from Heartfelt needed to activate them, according to the directions they came with.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
Tel

Also remember that they work better with a fuller box......so buy some more cigars...........
Tel is offline   Reply With Quote