Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 03-08-2004, 03:38 AM   #1
Brad Mac

I cant get past 60%

For some reason I cant get the rh in my humidor up past 60%.I did a salt test on my new digital hygro so I know that it is giving a good reading.It is a 50 count box,I am useing the original round device with distilled water,I even put a shot glass of water in and still wont climb over 60...Anyone have any advice?
Brad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:54 AM   #2
MountChuck
Club Member

Did you season the humidor when you first got it? It could be that all the cedar is soaking up the humidity. Try wiping down the inside w/ distilled water, but make doubly sure there is no excess water. That'll kill your smokes.
MountChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 07:07 AM   #3
Budman
Club Member

Brad,

Wipe down the humidor with distilled water and then lay a baggie down with a sponge/paper towel moistened with distilled water and let it set for 24 hours. Then remove everything and let the humidor set for another 8-12 hours. Next check humidity and finally, start adding your cigars. I think this will help.

Bob
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:07 AM   #4
The Bonsai

add a small jar, bottle cap, whatever with dist water and leave it in there for a few hours - ok 4 hours. Then check the humidity level. it should go up to mid 60's but stay below 70. Once it seems to stop going up remove the excess water and then moitor it every 4 - 8 hours to see how it is doing.
The Bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:07 AM   #5
The Bonsai

moitor = monitor

so i use ebonics....
The Bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:19 AM   #6
prflani
Herf Meister

I gotta chime in here... "Wiping down the wood" in your humidor is NOT a good idea. It causes the grain of the wood to raise and can cause warping. I know that many of the humidors come with such instructions, but it is NOT a good idea. Placing a damp sponge in an open plastic dish in the box is the best way to season that I'm aware of. Once you get the box humidified, then you can add cigars, etc. This is a slow process - period. Trying to hurry it by taking shortcuts like wiping down wood surfaces, may result in problems. Humidity will be low in the box until the wood has taken up enough water. Same thing happens when you add cigars that are on the dry side. Be patient, equilibration may take a week or two.
prflani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:34 AM   #7
qajariaq
Contributing Editor
Club Member

I'm with prflani - don't wipe down the inside with water! Along with possibly warping the cedar liner, water will raise the grain of the wood and it will no longer be smooth, possibly leading to damage of cherished cigars.

During the winter, I move all my cigars into a tupperware type container because me wood 'dor just won't hold humidity with such dry air outside of it. With an open container of water inside, the RH will hit mid 60's - but with a pound of beads in it the RH drops within a few days.

It may just be that your humidor will not hold humidity as well as some. Give it some time and see what happens.
qajariaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 08:42 PM   #8
JohnVH

Assuming everything else is ok, put a lit flashlite in it at dark and see if you can see light. If you can, your humidor isn't sealing right.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:13 AM   #9
got-sticks

Re: I cant get past 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Mac
For some reason I cant get the rh in my humidor up past 60%.I did a salt test on my new digital hygro so I know that it is giving a good reading.It is a 50 count box,I am useing the original round device with distilled water,I even put a shot glass of water in and still wont climb over 60...Anyone have any advice?

Is it a new humi ?, if so it may flucuate alot a take some time before it rgulatess...If not, try adding more cigars..The less space in your box the easier it is to hold the RH up..Dont open your box unless you have to..The more you open the more HUMIDITY escapes..
LAst but least try moving your box to another location in your home, where it may not be as cold/damp...G-luk..Also check below...

http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/ci...age/index.html
Old 03-09-2004, 06:57 AM   #10
Brad Mac

Thanks for all the help!The humi is one my wife got me for x-mass so its a few months old,also its is so full I cant fit another stick in there.Looks like Ill put everything an a plastic container and try to reseason it.
Brad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote