Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 06-21-2016, 04:21 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

White wines for the summer

There's nothing quite like enjoying a refreshing white wine in the summertime. With that in mind, you may want to check out the latest A Rich Pour column on the Cigar Weekly Home Page, where I offer up a few suggestions for anyone wishing to be 'cool'...

LINK

As always, I hope you enjoy the read, and at least one or two of the wines as well!

Old 06-21-2016, 07:18 AM   #2
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

good article, well written. I've been grooving on some excellent Txakoli this summer. Unfortunately it has moved up the price scale quite a bit.

For those of you looking for a bargain on Vinho Verde, try Trader Joe's... they usually have some respectable stuff around 5-6 bucks a bottle.

Also been doing rose more this summer, the ones made from cab franc have been a real treat.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:20 AM   #3
beevod
Herf God

Enjoyed the article. We savored a chilled Bogle Chardonnay last night -- tonight, a white Burgundy -- not yet sure which
Old 06-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #4
b0rderman
Club Member

As a enthusiastic beer drinker, a friend began slowly turning me on to white wines as a change of pace sort of thing last summer. Excellent article with some great timing to help nudge me back down this road. I really enjoyed it last year, and am looking forward to seeking out some of your selections here in Denver.

My girlfriend and her crew drink rosé almost exclusively all summer, in fact they just outright call it "summerwater." Do you have a rosé addendum for us "manly men" looking to impress our gal's friends?
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Triennes makes some great rose... but it prices mid 20s which may be outside 'summer fun' pricing

a manly man rose... Couly-Dutheil "Rene Couly" Chinon Rose 2015... cab franc, a lot of fresh flavor, a lot of body, tasty as heck

Cune makes rose Rioja that is fuller bodied (again) than a lot of rose, it is again tasty stuff

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 06-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
b0rderman
Club Member

Right on, thank you!
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rderman View Post
Do you have a rosé addendum for us "manly men" looking to impress our gal's friends?
Admittedly, I'm not a true rosé aficionado. That said, when I do opt for a rosé, I tend to gravitate towards the 'bigger' types. Bandol, with its Mourvèdre-based rosés, is a good bet (with wines such as those from Dupéré Barrera and Gros Noré). These are the sorts of 'pink' wines that can even stand up to sautéed or roasted lean beef dishes. And as is the case with more complex white wines, it's best not to serve these rosés too cold.

For easier drinking, the Rioja rosé from Marqués de Caceres is a reliable product.

I also hear that Bill Easton makes a very tasty rosé in the Sierra foothills, though I haven't tried it as yet.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Getting back to white wines, I've discovered yet another excellent one, which I unfortunately tasted after the article was already written - Comenge Verdejo from the Rueda region of Spain. This wine has great depth of flavour, and tends to the dry end of the flavour spectrum, with notes of lime-apple fruit and spring grasses backed up by good acidity.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #9
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

there is a lot of great verdejo from Rueda available right now, even if you cannot find that producer.

the last two rose's I mentioned are the deeper, redder kind, I really like them.

And if you want less expensive, again Trader Joes is carrying Lagranja 360, it is not the best you will ever have, but it is a good 'house pour' wine, and they have a nice rose (and a nice white). The rose is made from grenache, the white from Verdejo plus Viura. The winery has won awards. If that means anything.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #10
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
...there is a lot of great verdejo from Rueda available right now...
And a lot of it is from producers well known for their Rioja wines.