Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #1
carmine7075
Herf God

New Pink Floyd Album

There is a new Pink Floyd Album coming out next week called the endless river. It is all new music the inspiration, and all of the keyboards, for which was recorded during the division bell sessions.

http://www.pinkfloyd.com/theendlessriver/deluxe_box

I have to admit that I was not excited about it at first because I recalled not caring much for the division bell when it came out. At that time, I was more into the Roger Waters sound of the later Floyd, The Wall, etc.

Anyway, this morning I decided to give The Division Bell another chance after not listening to it since 1994 or 1995.

I was really surprised to conclude that it is actually a very good album, and I have to say that quite a few of the songs on it remind me of the earlier Floyd sound, eg Dark Side of the Moon, Wish you Were Here, when all of the band members wrote and contributed rather than being Waters and theme centric.

I am older, and I guess my tastes have changed.

So, now I find myself pretty excited about the new PF album and I think I may preorder the Floyd on Vinyl!

New Pink Floyd on Vinyl in 2014, who'd of thunk it?

What do you guys think?
Old 10-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I'm skeptical. the Australian Pink Floyd had a pledge drive special on PBS and I listened to it while I was cleaning out the garage. Twice. The Wall has some very dark memories associated to it and I think a lot of their music is trite. I guess maybe it was all the dope I was smoking back then.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
cigarfan
Herf God

Roger Waters seems to have made his peace with former bandmates..

"Waters lost his lawsuit over the band name in 1987, and that same year the band issued A Momentary Lapse of Reason."

"In 2013, Waters told the BBC he regretted his lawsuit over the band name. "I was wrong," he said. "Of course I was. Who cares?"

He also says.

"David Gilmour and Nick Mason have an album coming out. It's called Endless River. David and Nick constitute the group Pink Floyd. I on the other hand, am not part of Pink Floyd. I left Pink Floyd in 1985, that's 29 years ago. I had nothing to do with either of the Pink Floyd studio albums, Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell, nor the Pink Floyd tours of 1987 and 1994, and I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...floyd-20141002
Old 10-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #4
vernonator
Herf Meister

Huge Floyd fan here - but NOT of Roger Waters, the Wall - I turn the channel or press next if anything from it is on, just don't like it. Now Dark Side, Animals, Wish You Were Here, Meddle...those are Pink Floyd. I will be getting the new album, mainly because it is supposed to be a sort of memorial to Rick Wright - featuring him on a lot of the "new" tracks. He was a classically trained concert pianist that played for a rock band....amazing talent.

Waters is a whinny little bitch, it is nice to see him mellowing out a bit as he gets older, but still....bitch, whinny, little, you get the picture.
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
cigarfan
Herf God

My favs were Dark Side, Wish You Here and Animals. I like _some_ songs on the Wall, but it's not that great of album for me. Mostly a Roger Waters album with the rest of PF playing as back up band..IMO.

I do like Momentary Lapse and Division Bell…..they sound more like Pink FLoyd, than the Wall, IMO.

Good to see Waters mellowed out a bit…though he did contribute heavily to PF's early success. He actually came up with the melody for "Money".
Old 10-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
carmine7075
Herf God

Those are my favorites too, and I agree that The Division Bell is much more like those earlier Floyd albums than I first gave it credit.

That said, I also like the Wall, and The final Cut essentially sounds like a E and F side to it.

I have to admit that outside of Learning to Fly and On the Turning Away, I still don't really care for A Monetary Lapse of Reason. Stands to reason that it and The Final Cut would be their weakest efforts due to the ongoing legal and personal battles they were fighting at the time.