Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
jgbutler
Herf Meister

DPG cigars....Like em or not?

After seeing and reading a recent thread on the DPG Series JJ and the quoted posts below, I got to thinking about the many different DPG lines that he either produces himself or that he blends for others. Also of those cigars the shear number that I have enjoyed over the years and still do enjoy.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsd View Post
I hear a lot of people talking shit about DPG but I have always liked his cigars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
Can't say I've heard that, really. The most common criticism of DPG that I've heard is a concern that he's spreading himself too thin, putting out too many lines to maintain quality on all of them. With few exceptions, I'd have to say that he's done a pretty damn impressive job so far.
There has been so much discussion and praise for several of the new cigars and the people behind them the last few years, Pete Johnson (Tatuaje) and Dion Giolito (Illusione) to name a couple, that the banter concerning Don Pepin and his wonderful blends has seemed to have not been the the buzz it once was. But after thinking about it, I have a reaffirmed that I am still the DPG whore that I have always been. It is true that he has his efforts spread across many different cigars and there are still several blends that I have never had the opportunity to sample. But there are are several others that I truly enjoy.

Just to list the ones I still currently really enjoy.......

Cuban Classic
DPG Blue
Serie JJ
Vegas Cubanas (time has been good to these)
Tobacos Baez
Cubao
Old Henry
San Cristobal
601 Black (shame these are gone)
601 Blue
Mi Barrio
Little Havan Overuns
Hirsh Y Garcia
Habana Leon
Havana Soul

The Padilla Miami 8/11 and Signature 1932 that were originally blend by Pepin were absolutely exquisite. Oh how I wish there were to be an unknown stash of these discovered!

I never have tried the My Father or the El Centurion, mainly just because these were to rich for my blood. I've heard lots of people rave about them but just never could convince myself to drop the coin on them.

So what are your thoughts on Don Pepin's many different cigars and blends? Still like some, many, not so many? Dicovered some over the years that you really like? Found age refined some that turned some into to favorites that you have since started stocking and putting down to rest?

Just curious what the thoughts were from the CW community concerning Don Pepin's many lines.

Discuss!