Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:05 AM   #1
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust newbie

So, as a newbie to Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust cigars which seem to have a pretty good following and reputation, what would you recommend as a good representation of the brand to start off?

Right now have the Umbagog in my cart, as its one i have seen others smoking quite often, but looking for whatever you think is the brands flagship, only caveats being: nothing more than $8 each, and available in at least a Belicoso or larger, preferably toro or Torpedo.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:45 PM   #2
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

Umbagog is the only reasonably priced line for them. Expensive cigars across the board, almost as bad as Davidoff pricing.
JLOH #19
ak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:06 PM   #3
CSMAnderson
Herf God

Undercrown maduro/sungrown are great cigars. On the milder side is the Brulee. His whole line of cigars are great, but they are not cheap.

Last edited by CSMAnderson; 11-28-2022 at 03:10 PM.
CSMAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 05:44 PM   #4
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMAnderson View Post
Undercrown maduro/sungrown are great cigars.
Undercrown are Drew Estates, right?
JLOH #19
ak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:01 PM   #5
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2000 View Post
Undercrown are Drew Estates, right?
Yes.

In defense of Dunbarton's pricing, they are much better (IMO) than the Davidoffs you compare them to, and still at half of the price, unless you go chasing Unicorns. Sean, I would also recommend you start with Umbagog, not just for the price point, but also that they are great cigars and will give you a feel for the Dunbarton line.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Ž £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:49 AM   #6
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

When you think Dunbarton, they really are 'small batch'. Steve re-blends them each year so they are as much "the same" as last years as they can be, even given variations in the tobacco crops. Jeff is right - smoke the umbagog, then decide...
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:03 AM   #7
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Steve's cigars are really good, some do not like them, of course. He makes no apologies for his pricing, he gets the very best materials he can. I can not afford them, on the whole.

His first two blends were Sobremesa and Mi Querida, he stated straight out if you like one you will not like the other. But that's wrong-headed. I like Sobremesa, I REALLY like Mi Querida. Umbagog is pretty doggone good, too.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:46 AM   #8
bipolar
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
Steve's cigars are really good, some do not like them, of course. He makes no apologies for his pricing, he gets the very best materials he can. I can not afford them, on the whole.

His first two blends were Sobremesa and Mi Querida, he stated straight out if you like one you will not like the other. But that's wrong-headed. I like Sobremesa, I REALLY like Mi Querida. Umbagog is pretty doggone good, too.
I agree. The Sobremesa and the Mi Querida blends are really, really good. Never tried an Umbagog, but plan on ordering a few to see what the deal is with them.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:43 AM   #9
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMAnderson View Post
Undercrown maduro/sungrown are great cigars. On the milder side is the Brulee. His whole line of cigars are great, but they are not cheap.
Have had the Undercrown Maduro and love them. Also had the Brulee and found it to be just decent.

I believe those are all I've had
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:05 AM   #10
Duffer
Administrator
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2000 View Post
Umbagog is the only reasonably priced line for them. Expensive cigars across the board, almost as bad as Davidoff pricing.
sorry but i have to agree with Andy, yes they are a good cigar but not for that price...some of you have a relationship with this cigar...take that away and ask yourself if you did not would you buy that cigar for that price...

me personally there are better cigars out they for half that price.

In Memory of Steve Faccenda (TOJE)
Duffer is offline   Reply With Quote