Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Partagas Presidentes

Partagas Presidentes - MPC JUL 04 - An interesting figurado shape

Enjoyed this cigar at 4:00 am local time in Akumal (near Cancun), after a heavy Brazilian BBQ meal a couple hours before. Meal consisted of wonderful meats like beef ribs (wonderful fatty and juicy), pork chops (a bit dry but flavorful), steaks that included top sirloin, Mexican style, braised lamb off the spit, various sausage (my favorite being the Portuguese variety this fine evening). The wine was this wonderful red Malbec from Argentina called Marcus James from 2010. We also enjoyed a Chillean wine, the name has escaped me, but both wines were fantastic. The Partagas Presidente was the perfect end to this fine HEAVY meal. Smoked it on the balcony with a glass of Havana Club Anejo.

Wrapper – Colorado Maduro, very dark, dense, and some veins evident. The wrapper is thick, and will add a its own flavors, very typical of this cigar. The aroma of the wrapper is rich and wonderful. 5/5

Construction – The cigar is dense and solid and has a closed foot. The closed foot made it easy to light with a single common cigarette match, which is what this cigars closed foot is designed for. Unfortunately the draw was tight, and the cigar was hard and tiring to smoke. But it showed a lot of potential so I labored on. After smoking a quarter of the cigar, I decided to cut about a quarter of an inch off the head, which dramatically improved the draw, as well as the flavor profile. 3/5

Flavor profile – Once I was able to improve the draw, the flavors came alive with extreme POWER. It was intense, extremely strong, hitting my palate like a bomb. WOW. Belly full of fine meats from dinner, this cigar is perfect right now. Flavors are straight forward and strong. Lots of bitter nuts, lots of earth, even bitter chocolate is hitting my palate. No sweet flavors at all, just straight forward strong tobacco flavors. Only those who enjoy the strongest Habanos will love this cigar. It is not for everyone. I absolutely love the flavors of this cigar. 10/10

Final Thoughts - Definitely not a morning cigar, but after a late night heavy meal, this cigar is perfect. Extremely generous in flavor. Pairs well with the Havana Club Anejo. It will be too strong for most. Seasoned palates only.

As a testament to the strength of this cigar, the aroma of the dense smoke is strong and can clear a room full of people. There were tourists up on their balconies around us, complaining about the cigar smoke. Nothing they could do about it since smoking cigars on the balcony is permitted at the resort.

Total Score – 18/20

Last edited by SLR; 11-05-2012 at 07:07 AM.
SLR is online now   Reply With Quote