Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2005, 08:35 PM   #1
sarchasm
Starting Member

Cost Effective TC Humidor -- Help Please

My problem keeping cigars at the right temp's have been well documented here.

I have outgrown my current humidor and I am willing to spend approx 1k for a Temp Controlled one which can be used for long term storage. I have heard rave reviews about the TC aristocrat but it seems like those start in the 2k range. I would like to keep my cost at around 1k.

I have entertained the following ideas but dismissed them

1) using a thermolectric avanti wine cooler (I refuse to use anything compressor based) and actually placing some bargain humidors inside the fridge in order to regulate the temps. The problem is finding humidors which fit the interior dimension of the avanti and maximizing the space.

2) I know HAMR has rigged his avanti and placed cigars directly in the fridge but there is NO WAY I can do anything even remotely handy rendering this idea worthless.

I have read that the key to aging cigars is consistency -- in terms of humidity and temperature -- which is why I would like to find a long term solution. I dont need to hold a ton of cigars. Something like the aristocrat's size (or even a bit smaller) would be perfect.

I also dont think I would be open to any ideas which werent thermoelectric based. Does avallo or any other manufacturer make a quality product which suits my needs in my price range?

Any thoughts?
Thanks again.
sarchasm is offline   Reply With Quote