Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Obanion

Carlos Toraño Noventa Torpedo

Everyone who knows me knows how much I love Toraño cigars. I have to be honest here. This one didn't impress me. It was a fine cigar and I would choose it above many other figurados out there but it was not the best Toraño I've smoked.
As I looked at the stogie I saw beautiful construction, a gorgeous medium brown wrapper and a good tobacco aroma. The cap was flawless. I used a Xikar and the cut was very good. As I lit the foot with a tri-flame torch I was happy with the smell of the smoke. The wrapper started almost immediately to crack. A problem that continued throughout. The burn was good but tended to get lopsided toward the end at which point I had to use my lighter often to bring it back. I kept waiting for the flavor to kick in as with a Sig. or Virt. but it never came.
All in all it was an average cigar. I much prefer the Signature and Virtuoso lines.
Obanion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Thanks for the review Mark, sorry to hear this one didn't work out for you. I really like the Signature, Exodus Gold and Virtuoso (in that order) but haven't tried the Noventa yet. In general the reports haven't had me out searching for one.

(___|CW|_______))))~~~~

(unauthorized use of signature prohibited )
tchapchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
infiniterapture

I guess i'll stick with my sigs, golds, and silvers then... imho the great thing about torano is that they sell such a great product at such a great price point. Their entry into the super expensive super premium market kinda gives me cause for concern that they might walk through a door leaving alot of their customers behind.

Rudyard Kipling~
infiniterapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Rconectn
Club Member

I like this cigar, solid flavors and a solid burn. Medium to full flavor, perfect. THe only thing not perfect is the price on them.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
CSMAnderson
Herf God

I also like this cigar. I have found it to be flavorful and really enjoyable. But I will say as I always have, the Signature is the best Torano cigar, followed closely by the Exodus Gold.
CSMAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
CJ3
Club Member

I haven't tried one of these. I like the Gold label '59's, Cameroon 1916's, and the Casa Toranos, in particular.

I wouldn't be put off an entire line by a split wrapper though. Probably just an isolated issue with humidity, storage, or construction. The Torano's tend to be good on the whole, construction wise, I've found.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
Stevo
Club Member

Spot on review. I had the exact same experience. It was just an ok cigar, certainly not worth the high price. I like almost all the Toranos, with the Virtuoso line being my favorite.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
justin51

I have really enjoyed the few Noventas that I have purchased. Like others, I've always had a little sticker shock.
justin51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
jimstep

I purchased a couple of these a the local cigar shop where they offered a two for one special. That made the price point much better. I have to admit that I found the Noventa reminding me of some good Cubans. I love the Sigs and the 1916. But the Noventa was a surprise and pure enjoyment for me.
jimstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
Breech
Club Member

Have wanted to try these, but haven't seem them when I find myself in the store.... Torano's are what started me in this hobby and I will always have a spot for them, but without doubt the Virtuoso line is killer and I always have a box on hand. I was hoping that the Noventa's would be a little stronger than the Virt's....

Will have to try them out.

John

Talkin' 'bout some back rent, she lucky if she get any front rent.- John Lee Hooker

Strike While The Iron Is Hot!!
Breech is offline   Reply With Quote