Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:46 AM   #1

Humidor help please. Spilled propylene glycol solution.

Ok, so don't ask how but a large amount of propylene glycol spilled in my humidor and soaked into about half of the wood. My question is this, after it dries is the humidor riuned or can i still use it. Is there anyway to clean it? Thanks!

Rob
Old 05-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
ElkTwin

It will probably leave a stain, but it shouldn't affect the function once it dries.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
flyfishtn
Club Member

You can wipe it out with a damp cloth of distilled water but like Roger stated, it will most likely leave a stain. Function will not be effected.

To ensure aesthetics are not effected, keep it covered with fine cigars!
Old 05-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
b0rderman
Club Member

shouldn't hurt....

but hopefully you don't like to keep your smokes at 60%
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #5

i like my cigars at 70%. i was a bit worried that the propylene glycol would leech into the cigars on the very bottom. i just got a new humidor anyway. guess i've got an extra one now. just have to fix the hinges. thanks.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
maduro4me

I beg to differ gentlemen! I, a victim of 4 large humidors and a hundred valuable sticks that cant be replaced, held too much 50/50 solution and I am still having an ongoing fight with trying to clean up the mess. For months I have replaced cigar after cigar in each humidor checking for the odor to dispell. I am making some ground as some of the boxes are coming around but dont know how long this will take, maybe never. Wiping down the boxes weekly and keeping only distilled water in the humis has helped some. The problem is in the wood.

First, never use a 50/50 solution. If you do use a solution add quite a bit more distilled water to the mixture. You only need a small presence glycol to protect against mold if you dont use beads. And dont forget to open your humi ever so often to release some of the built up gases. Or do like me in the next few months, throw the boxes out or use as plant boxes. Humidification is not a "set and forget" thing!
Old 06-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
SmoKerch
Herf God

I just don't understand how this happens.

Take the humidifier out of the humidor BEFORE adding solution or distilled water, and add just a teaspoonful or so at a time.

Simple, no?

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote