Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2002, 11:05 AM   #1
EnjoyTheMusic
Starting Member

Hi Everyone,

Guess I’ll start out by apologizing. My “day job” is as a professional reviewer for high-end audio, so if my review of the Avallo AH-1200 comes off as such, well, it is simply the way I review things many times each year...

My recent purchase of the Avallo AH-1200 www.avallohumidors.com stemmed from filling the three well-built Diamond Crown’s “The Majestic”. While Diamond Crown manufacturers furniture-grade, top-quality wood humidors, they do not offer a single unit that will hold upwards of 1,200 cigars. As a world traveler I have seen many truly top shelf humidors. This includes visiting stores in New York City, Italy, and of course Harrods in London. It was easy to fall in love with the excellent, highly detailed with inlaid wood and 100% handcrafted unit in Harrods. Alas, the $24,000 price tag kept my sanity in check. Still, it was truly an amazing creation that would look great in my home’s décor.

Coming back down to earth, a realistically priced solution was in order. After all, humidors can fill up fast (heh heh)! After many travels and searching the Internet I found the solution. What is truly amazing is how (relatively) inexpensive it was! Reading a few reviews of Avallo products from other cigar aficionados on the Cigar Weekly discussion board www.cigarweekly.com/forums/ assisted in my decision. Enter the Avallo AH-1200.

With the experience of manufacturing thousands of humidors over many years, Avallo sells their products direct to consumers… and at a great cost savings to a rabid cigar smoker such as myself. Please do not ask how many sticks I smoke in a week. Shall we suffice to say the costs would easily equal a new sports car bank loan payment! Much thought and care was given to my decision. The size of the AH-1200 (22" wide x 25" deep x 28.75" tall) would fit perfectly contained by an empty corner within my kitchen, directly next to the counter where the Gaggia espresso maker resides (another product that brings much joy in my life).

As the AH-1200 ($600) is offered in various real wood colors, the natural choice for my home was… natural. Options I had added were the sturdy second Spanish cedar pullout drawer ($50), easy sliding full extension ball bearing drawer guides ($20 per unit, three within my unit), four additional dividers ($16), second set of effective circulation fans ($25), and the amazing Accumonitor Digital Set Point System ($200). The key points were to insure a stable, properly humidified environment with good circulation.

For those not familiar with the Accumonitor Digital Set Point System here are the basics. Imagine a fully active, professional, and very accurate system that measures the humidification level within your humidor and activates separate fans that are mounted on top of two large (one quart each) water reservoirs. Add to this the four fans that assist in circulating the air within the humidor and you now have six quiet, yet very effective fans insuring your sticks remain at whatever humidity level you have set. Speaking of setting the level… Large LEDs read out the current humidification level, the level you have programmed into the system, and the current temperature inside the humidor. Two large, easily accessible buttons allow setting your chosen level while the Accumonitor Digital Set Point System will insure a 3% adherence to your desired point. While the system will not lower the temperature, nor lower the humidity, most of us can easily keep temperatures at a proper setting while our home environment demands the addition of humidity for our prized sticks as they age. Unlike lesser systems on the market, the French-made humidification detection sensor manufactured by Humirel www.humirel.com allows for adjustability. While my unit was spot on from the Avallo factory, over the years this type of device may need fine-tuning. A simple adjustment of a potentiometer and my Avallo AH-1200 once again will bring years of accurate humidification.

The Spanish cedar pullout trays and drawers are very well made and quite solid. While one does not expect top echelon in craftsmanship such as half-blind dovetail joints for drawer construction at this price point, the shelves are very well constructed and finely sanded for smoothness. Angled slots in the pullout drawers insure a good flow of air around my cigars while easily containing them until they magically vanish in a puff (or two) of smoke. Both upper and lower magnetic catches on the door are augmented by complete door sealing foam to insure a complete seal from the outside environment.

Setup and using my AH-1200 is extremely easy. After unboxing the unit and placing in the appropriate location, I removed the fan-assisted covers to both quart reservoirs and added distilled water. Placing them on the far right and left rear of the unit I electrically plugged in the Accumonitor Digital Set Point System. After a minute or two I simply pressed the large white buttons on the control unit to set the desired level to 66% humidity. This insures a humidification level of 66% at most and approximately 63% at the very least. If the reservoirs’ water levels are inadequate (become empty), then Accumonitor Digital Set Point System will flash to alert me to refill them. As with all humidors, it is best to let the humidification level become stable on its own for a few days before filling it up with cigars.

It has now been nearly a week and the system has worked flawlessly as it has been put through the paces. In fact my girlfriend has positively commented concerning the sheer beauty of the AH-1200 and loves the smell that ensues when opening the unit to grab yet another cigar for slow, yet premeditated destruction. For under $1,000 total with virtually every conceivable option this AH-1200 is a steal of a deal. Have seen like devices for over $2,000 that did not come close to the quality, construction, and active humidification device as Avallo provides. If anyone needs a Diamond Crown humidor I have a few well cared for units awaiting a new home. Well, enough about humidors... it is time for a good smoke!

Enjoy Your Cigars,

Enjoy the Music

Edited by - enjoythemusic on 10/09/2002 09:32:02 AM

Enjoy the Music
EnjoyTheMusic is offline   Reply With Quote