Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
jwrussell
Herf Meister

New Adjustable Hygrometers

I just picked up two of the new self-adjustable hygrometers that have recently become available. They are available from both David @ Heartfelt and Mark @ Cigarmony. Both stand-up bro's who will treat you right.

The hygrometers come in both a round and rectangular version. Both work in the same basic manner. There is a largish round (rectangle version) or oval (round version) button that switches the thermometer from C to F, and a smaller round (in both cases) button for setting the hygro after changes are made with the large round dial. Both have good sized LCDs and are easily read. As the rectangular version is larger it of course has a larger and easier read LCD.

Be sure to either order a Humidipak One-Step Calibration Kit along with your hygros (or be ready to set up a salt test). Once you receive everything, getting started is as easy as pulling the little plastic tab that protrudes from the battery compartment. This helps to keep the included button-cell battery from running down before you receive the hygro. Once this tab is pulled out the LCD will show 88c|888% for a moment before it settles in and starts reading. (For reference, this is what it does whenever you press the "set button as well".) At this point, drop the hygro into the Calibration Kit bag (or put it in whatever container you are using for the salt test) and give it 24-48 hours (I prefer 48) in an area with a stable temperature. Once you have noted the difference between what your hygro reads and what it should, pull the hygro out of the bag and carefully turn the adjustment knob clockwise to increase the reading, or counterclockwise to reduce the reading. In both cases, 1 click=1%. The display will NOT change while you are doing this. Don't worry, your changes are being made, you just have to press the small "Set" button mentioned above for the hygro to "take" the changes. This helps to prevent inadvertent changes to the reading. Once you press the set button, the screen will clear itself as mentioned above and then return showing the calibrated reading.

If you aren't anal like myself ( ) you can stop here, throw the hygro into your humi/cooler/etc. and move on. If you ARE anal like me, then throw it back into the Calibration Kit bag for another 48 hours and make sure the changes you made took. To me it makes no sense to purchase a hygrometer that you can adjust yourself and not be 100% sure it reads spot on.

My only possible complaint is that they don't make one in a wireless set up with a base unit and individual remotes. However...I've been told this is in the works.

For all of us out there who have never been happy looking at a hygrometer and adding or subtracting from the read out everytime we try to check the humidity this is a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng awaited advance in technology. And at about $23 it's one hell of a deal.
jwrussell is offline   Reply With Quote