Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2005, 07:43 AM   #1
sm.scoles

Glengoyne 17

OK, I gotta stop walking into Town and Country Liquors. This time I was just going to grab a bottle of Three Philosophers brew and I ran into the veteran Scotch man... We conversed, he tried to sell me a bottle of Springbank 15 ($115) I told him to sell it for $70 and he'd still make a few bucks, he told me to stuff it I ended up holding a bottle of Oban and a bottle of Glengoyne. I went with the Glengoyne. Highlands, baby!

Review:

Nose: Honey. HEAVY sweetness, thick in the glass.Maybe oak? The rest is very muddled, hard to pick out a specific scent. If I had to reach for another word, it'd be sweet

Taste: WOO! Little bite on the first sip, very unexpected. Definate vanilla taste. Perhaps I'm a candyass but I had to add a few drops of water Sweet honey flavors. Got kind of an earthy/nutty thing going on, vanilla falls to the background after I added a dash of water. Vanilla, honey, nuts. That's about it.

Finish: Vanilla, chewy. Still some sweetness and a bit of a smokiness, but very light. Oak also.

Overall: Very good, opens up very nicely, imho, with a couple drops of water, seemed a lot more complex to me. Even thougnh the prevailing tastes are pretty out in front I would still say this IS a complex whisky. Too much of a bite for me, personally, when it's neat. 4/5 flasks!