Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2002, 11:56 PM   #1
mclamm

El Rey Del Mundo - Robusto Suprema (Oscuro) 7.25 x 54

Humidor aged - 6 months at 67RH/70 to 73 F

If you've got the time El Rey Del Mundo has the smoke for you.

Tearing open the thin tissue wrapper I see a dark, rich, oily (like it was dipped in melted butter) oscuro wrapper. It is slightly veiny. Smells of tobacco and softly of leather and cedar. It takes a V cut well (no ragged edges or torn cap).

This smoke lights easily, draws well and gives a sweet first pull. The first tastes give hints of cedar, creamy white chocolate, and leather with a finish like almonds and just a touch of hay (not grassy but like the taste in your mouth when you smell fresh, clean aged hay). The burn is almost perfect, a good white ash held by a dark black bubbled circle. The aroma is good and the smoke plentiful.

15 min. and about an inch in: the ash, burn and draw are still perfect. The hint of hay is gone and the sweet creamy taste has really amped up, almost too sweet on a couple of puffs. Where's the spice? A touch of spice would be nice to even this smoke out. Even so, good taste for the most part, and a bonus nice little glowing buzz going on. The big story at the beginning, though, is the power. You can feel it right away, like drinking a triple espresso. This cigar just about demands that you sit down to smoke it.

30 min. and about 2 1/4 inches in: I'm really starting to relax and unwind as I smoke and
listen to the seranade of what sounds like a seven member mariachi band of chiuauas down the street. I keep my palate clear with some Capt. Morgan's on ice. Wow, come to think on it maybe that's where the glowing buzz is from. Still a nice even burn and draw. The ash is just starting to get a little gravity curl.

First ash drop at 42 min. a good 2 1/2 incher (sorry about the ash fixation but it's one of
my few vices waiting to see how long it takes gravity to win the ash war) maybe I should get a life.

1 hour 6 min. about 1/2 way done: The mariachis got tired and went to find something higher up the food chain to eat them, I hope. The sweetness has eased and as if on command a good rich spicy flavor has developed to even things out. Still good amounts of sweet chocolate, almond, cedar, and leather also.

1 hour 58 min. about an inch from the cap: With regret I take my last few puffs and fondly set it down for good (with a full beard and mustache it is a risk to go any lower, flash fire damage and all, but that's a whole nother story) This was a thouroughly enjoyable smoke. I've smoked many of these and found them to be consistent with what I've given in this review. I did have to correct the burn once but it was minor. So after almost 2 hours, 4 good long chunks of ash (I told you it was a vice) and three Capt. Morgan's I'm left with a good warm feeling and a totally memorable smoking experience.

If you've got the time and like a good medium bodied smoke that changes character as you go along, I recommend you try one. After that you'll probably try more.

"Life is what happens while you're making other plans."
-- John Lennon --