Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2002, 05:43 AM   #1
jchamb
Club Member

I had one of these yesterday morning. These were some of my favorites last year, and I was finishing a box I got in Jan '01 (dated 11/99), so towards the end of the year I got another box (dated 8/2000). I finally opened that second box yesterday, and this smoke really surprised me.
The "Cabinet Series" is the same blend as the regular JR Ultimate line, but with an Ecuadoran sun grown wrapper, and packed in a heavy cedar box. These have been known to be spicy, medium to full strength cigar.

The Cab 50 is a 6" x 54 ring cigar, and this one was just as black and oily as any cigar I've ever seen. It looked very much like an ERDM Robusto Larga (same dark oily wrapper).

The difference ended there however, as the first 2 inches of this cigar was the spiciest thing I've ever smoked. It tasted very different from those in my first box for those couple of inches, but smoked great and held a nice long ash. Had I not known better, I'd swear this was an FDA on steroids!

After the first couple of inches it settled into the usual (great) Ult Cab flavor, but still retained more spicy flavor than I recalled in the first box. This thing was definately on the "full" side of 'medium/full' flavor. I nubbed it, and am still wondering why this was so different than my first box. These are VERY good cigars, and completely different (IMO) than the regular Ult line.

Anybody else had this sort of experience with the Cab's?