Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
sucol
Club Member

Viaje Holiday Blend '10 - Petite Robusto

I'm new to Viaje but have been favorably pressed by several of their cigars. I ordered two (2) samplers from new Havana Cigars - each came with three (3) each of the Petite Belicoso and Petite Robusto (hereinafter "PR").

The PR is a 4 x 54 Nicaraguan puro. It has a dark colorado wrapper, and is adorned with a single silver and olive-green band that reads "Viaje Holiday Blend." The construction is excellent - a flawless wrapper and a firm, very well rolled cigar. A little short for my tastes, but there you have it.

The PR lighted easily, though I needed a few touch-ups to get an even burn. It produces voluminous smoke upon lighting, with a surprisingly mild aroma and initial taste. The taste builds quickly, though, and is soon dark and pungent.

I smoked the PR for about 40 minutes. It's initial impression of mildness was deceiving. This is a strong , little cigar ... once burning it burned evenly and slowly. It also burned increasingly hotter, perhaps a result of its short length. It's finish also changed ... the first have very nice and deep, with a real presence in the palate that led me to wait patiently between puffs. The increasing heat made this noticeably less pleasant, however, and by the time I put it out I was not enjoying it as much as I did initially.

Still, this is a very nice smoke with a unique flavor profile worth trying if you can find one. As a brand I think Viaje is one to include in your rotation, As noted above, the construction and care with which these cigars are produced is readily apparent.

Numerical evaluation:

Appearance: 10/10
Construction: 10/10
Flavor: 15/20
Finish: 7/10
Smoking experience: 17/20
Aroma: 10/10
Overall impression: 17/20

Resultant Final Score: 86/100