Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

Don Arturo Gran AniverXario Review

I have been looking forward to this one! I actually delayed it a couple of times because of allergies and a cold.

Even among Opus-X cigars, this one is hard to come by. It was rolled in 2001 as the One Hundred Year Anniversary for the Fuentes. Technically that occurs in 2012, but They included a few in the Biography sampler box last Year then went ahead and sold the Big Humidors that had 48 of the "Natural" Wrapper and 48 of the "Sun Grown" included for a healthy price and those all disappeared quickly. The two cigars (one of each!) that I have were a part of a Generous gift from a CW Brother.

Let's get to it!

Cigar: Fuente Don Arturo Gran AniverXario 100th anniversary cigar, rolled in 2001.

Size: This vitola comes in one size 6 1/4 X 48 so it's a Toro.

Appearance: Despite the unique and multicolored Band and red ribbon foot this cigar looks 'Old School' in appearance. The non gloss band works with the vintage image of Don Arturo on the face. The cigar itself has a semi box press shape. The Wrapper color is also light on this sample, all in all a rather conservative looking cigar.

Construction: After carefully removing the red ribbon at the foot, I take a closer look at the "100 year cigar". The Wrapper has a dull finish with the occasional shiny spot. It has a motley hue, but is uniform and smooth. There is the odd vein here and there but nothing that detracts for the cigar. Zero lumps or soft spots detected along the length of this Parejo shaped Beauty. The cap in particular is Flawless Triple Seam Perfection.

Pre-Light: The Aroma of this cigar at first seemed textbook Opus-X. However, when compared to a pair of standard Opus, this cigars aroma appears distinctive. It gave Floral notes instead of the normal Allspice and nutmeg aroma. More intrigue?

Pairing: Well, I've settled on the last few inches of HC-7 that I have been pretending wasn't there. This cigar seemed like the appropriate time to close it out. Gooood Stuff!

Spark: The clip was uneventful, the draw is medium to light. Bonus, the flavor of the tobacco on the tongue is sweet. After toasting the foot, it smelled like...Your gonna laugh at me...it faintly smelled like Popcorn, Swear!
After a proper light, the first few puffs are kinda muddled, but I am getting that old tingle in the back of my throat. Alright, after a few more puffs to get it to temp, the Flavor Train arrives! Mouth watering spice and a back drop of White Pepper on the finish, which is Looooooong.
I have a small run, so I re-clip and even it out. The clip makes a substantial difference on the draw. Bam! Back to Flavor-Ville! This is a Full Flavor/Full Power cigar! If this is how it is after 8 Years......I cannot imagine what kind of a Monster this was in it's youth. I'm glad I ate first.
An inch or so in and the burn is straight. Plenty of chewy smoke and Flavor. The Spice has eased back and the Pepper is moving into the front row.
Muy Caliente`

Thank goodness I picked the HC, this thing would have overpowered anything else. The nose of the Rum really softens the blow. I do not believe that I have Ever had a more Picante Fuente than this. The ash is white powder flake that falls right off if ya don't flick it first. Ya won't win any long ash contests with this puppy. Around 2 inches in and I carefully remove the band. Speaking to the Band, someone put some time in there. This is one intricate Band. lot's going on on there. Fortunately it came off clean and no Wrapper damage.

Side bar:That's one of my pet peeves. You invest in a over $10 each cigar and you cannot get the ^&^*^%$% band off without ripping up the Wrapper, Hellloooo? Rant off.

Since I mentioned Price, I don't know what these really cost. The only place I saw selling them was $60.00 each and They were sold out. As a Gift I never ask, but These are not common cigars. After the re-clip I've had no more runs or uneven burn. Right around midway and my tongue thinks I'm eating Jalapenos, not kidding. I'm starting to get oils at the back, so I purge it, Whoa! That's some big time flame coming out the front. Seriously, I'm looking to see if I have any copper fittings that I need to solder.
OK, with that done it settles back into the Pepper profile. There are other flavours present and You can spot them in the finish, which is long and luxurious. When a Cigar Producer, that is as Prodigious as Fuente is, wants something "Special" to commemorate an event as rare as surviving for 100 years, that's a tough bill to fill. They already produce some of the Best Dominican cigars available. When You look at all the various lines and specialty products, that's got to be a daunting task. With critics anxiously awaiting an opportunity to pounce and criticize any sub par offering. That's a lot of pressure to produce. Add to that the Fuentes own desire and drive to expand the envelope of what's possible. I would not want that job. I like my job. The job of enjoying the wonderful products that They produce.

Now at the 3/4 mark the flavor begins to mellow out a bit and become more smooth and rich. I give it another clip and am rewarded with a clean clear draw. Normally, I have two sometimes three drinks during a smoke. I am still looking at the melting ice in an empty first glass, because I don't want to get up and prepare another, I might miss something.

I normally watch a movie or go out back and sit outside, but this Gem of a cigar has captivated all of my senses, for the entire time. Other than the little voice in my head that wonders what the Sun Grown version is going to taste like.

As the first cigar of the day, I'm pretty much screwed. What else could I have that could approach this? You guessed it, Yardgar time. It would be a waste to follow it with much else. Maybe, wait awhile then try another quality smoke. The Flavor is still going strong, but smoother than the Pepper Bomb it was early on. A nice variety, but still strong to the Finish.

Parting Thoughts: Well, down to the last inch and time to retire this Awesome Cigar. I think that Carlos and Company have fully achieved that lofty goal of a Unique and Singular Profile befitting the Century mark for His Family's Legacy in the World of Quality Handmade Cigars.

My sincere Thanks to Bobbystbob for allowing me the opportunity to sample this rare and Wonderful Cigar.

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote