Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Elwin
Starting Member

C.I. "Original Cubans" Corona

This is my first review here. It's a compilation of comments I made on the C.I. site, a mini review I did at another site, and notes I made for myself in my personal cigar journal.

Name: C.I. "Original Cubans" Corona

Size: (6.5" x 42) (aka a classic Lonsdale in size)

Price: Bundle of 20 = $34.95

There's a funny scene in the movie "The Great Escape". The American's have whipped up a batch of moonshine to share with the other prisoners to celebrate Independence Day. Jim Garner looks at Don Pleasense and asks him, "You know what that is?" Pleasence replies after taking a sip, "I know what it isn't. It isn't Napoleon Brandy!" Well, I know what Original Cubans aren't - they aren't 1959 Cubans. But that doesn't mean that they aren't a pleasant, tasty cigar. They are. If CI had given these another name and a stylish band, they would have still sold well. So I'll keep these in my regular lineup, because while I like Napoleon brandy, I like moonshine too!

One of C.I.'s house brands, this is a very popular seller - and with good reason. It's a decent cigar for a reasonable price. It appears to be a cuban sandwich, or mixed filler design with a habano colored wrapper. The fill is firm, but not tight, causing a fairly steady burn of about one hour. After a month of resting, the burn was even, with no touch-ups needed. Flavor has only minute changes. Starting with an earthy first inch, the change to leather in the first third switched to a sweet tobacco taste with hints of vanilla, cocoa, and coffee that stayed through to the last inch. A medium nicotine strength that's not overpowering, but pleasantly relaxing.

A step up from a "yard-gar", you may not impress anyone with the looks or presentation of this cigar, but personally, I'd never hesitate to share these with good friends.

-------------------------------------------------------------