Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2004, 09:47 PM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Stan Rogers

Anyone know of him?

I've heard a couple of his songs on Highlander Radio this week. He was a Canadian folkie who died in a plane crash in 1983 from what I've read of his work. Like most folkies he was political to some extent. Depending upon how you look at it he was very patriotic Canadian/somewhat anti-American. I can't tell for certain, though.

One song which really caught me is called Northwest Passage and tells of the various explorers who tried over the years to find the Northwest Passage to the Orient. It's an awesome piece of music and was written, partly, as a reaction to the Canadian history texts Rogers studied in school. Most were published by U. S. houses, so the history was different. The song is powerful and proud.

Another Barrett's Privateers has to do with the War of 1812, and is a little stronger in it's content of America as an enemy. Of course that was then.

I do know, that for whatever reason, Rogers didn't do a lot of work in the U. S. because he refused to work without a visa. Why he was denied one, I do not know. Can anyone shed more light on him?

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote