Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 07-25-2002, 04:11 PM   #1
Vince

Which company's lighters are higher quality, Solo or Vector? Do the twin flame lighters (one standard flame and one torch) offer a realistic advantage over a torch lighter? Also, what are some of the better butane brands? I've read some praise for Lava Fuel, but I haven't seen it in any local stores and don't think I can get it shipped overseas. Thanks.

Edited by - Vince on 07/25/2002 5:22:10 PM
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 04:46 PM   #2
sd_smoker
Club Member

I've been eyeing the Solo's for the price, but I really like Vector's "Lean Burn" or whatever they call it...
"Personal charisma is a force that undermines institutions as often as it sustains them. Political institutions need the more reliable buttresses of tradition and duty. Mass emotionalism and celebrity-worship are hostile to any constitutional system."
sd_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 05:11 PM   #3
drfred

If you like a flint lighter, Vector's Emperor model is very nice! It is a triple-jet flame (soft flame) lighter that resembles a Ligne II. I still like the Solo Slim Laser best of all.
drfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 05:25 PM   #4
Dr. X

Heard from a retailer friend of mine that LAVA fuel is once again gone. Story goes --they went out a while back and then someone else picked them up. They too are now gone from what I hear.

Dr. X
Dr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 05:36 PM   #5
scubadoo97
Club Member

Anyone used Vector fuel? Seems very avialable online and price is good for a large can.
Old 07-25-2002, 06:31 PM   #6
Pill Man

The Solo trek has caught my eye - especially at it's low price. Think I'll order one when I get back from St. Pete.
- Son House
Pill Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 03:36 AM   #7
keke500
Starting Member

I got solo trek just last week . Only lit few cigars with it so far . Seems working really nice . Lighting was much easier with double flame especially for larger ring cigars.

Btw you can get that lava fuel , but be prepared to wait 5-8 weeks cause it cannot be shipped via airmail. Mine took 6 weeks.

Of course from www.bargainhumidors.com
keke500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 08:56 AM   #8
mhotek

I use both Solo and Vector lighters. We've seen 3 instances of a problem with the adjustment knob on the Slim Laser and 1 instance of a failed lighter. PERIOD. We have seen ZERO problems with Vector lighters. We've handled hundreds of Solo lighters and dozens of Vector lighters. So far, both company's lighters are rock solid.

Yes, you see all kinds of stuff about Lava fuel and how it is refined 5 times which supposedly makes it better. If a mftr is still getting impurities out of butane after the 3rd refining, then their chemists need to be fired. I've used Lava, Vector, and Lucienne fuel side by side in testing. I can't tell ANY difference between the three with the exception that you can actually find Vector and Lucienne fuel.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:10 AM   #9
sd_smoker
Club Member

Mike, does the Solo Trek really suck down the gas? I'd rather not spend $60 on the Vector, but it may be worth it not to have to refill it every two days if you know what I mean...
"Personal charisma is a force that undermines institutions as often as it sustains them. Political institutions need the more reliable buttresses of tradition and duty. Mass emotionalism and celebrity-worship are hostile to any constitutional system."
sd_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 06:02 PM   #10
mhotek

The Trek will consume fuel much more quickly simply due to the fact you are burning 2 jets instead of just one. It will go for a while, but not nearly as long as any of the other Solo lighters. As far as the 2 high end Vector lighters - Gear and Pinnacle, I haven't found anything that will light anywhere near that number of cigars unless it is a table lighter.