Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 01-06-2003, 08:57 AM   #1
Castanza
Club Member

Decisions/Decisions

I would really appreciate any opinions you all may have regarding:
I have a 1998 onkyo receiver tx-sv454 which is pro-logic dolby digital ready(5.1 ready) has the multi inputs for a dvd player which has a decoder built in. I just bought the sony sr 315 not progressive, since i probably won't buy a hd tv monitor for the next 2-3 yrs.
I know how much better it would sound if I had digital. I have all mirage speakers, and just bought the new omni polar center speaker 360 all around, very nice, no sub woofer yet. The concert music dvds sound good, but I cannot decide if I should bring back the Sony dvd player, and go and buy the dvd w/decoder and also it would be progressive, and could play the dvd audio for a difference of $200 after returning the sony player, or just biting the bullet, and buy a new receiver say a denon that has all of the capabilities and just keep the current sony dvd player, which i would be looking at spending 350-400 plus tax. Keep in mind my onkyo receiver works well.
Another thing is I believe the cd even though it doesn't play digital it sounds better going through the newer receivers. One minute I think just get the dvd w/decoder Mitsibushi dd8080 for $300(bring back sony), or try & convince my wife that spending 350-400 better idea. If you are wondering why I didn't go ahead and buy a progressive dvd player, I wasn't sure how long they would last, and since I could still use one of my old TVs for playing dvds in the future.
Okay I know that is long winded but please give your opinions.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:10 AM   #2
Inner Logik
Starting Member

It sounds like your DVD player doesn't decode 5.1 or DTS as well as not having progressive scan video output.

I'm normally inclined to go the least expensive direction, so my first though would be to place the DVD player and get one that decodes 5.1. However, I'd also consider the types of inputs that your receiver has. I've found that optical connections sound better, not drastically so, but better nonetheless. Your receiver probably doesn't have an optical in, but your DVD player might have an optical out.

I think it really comes down to what you want to spend. If I had $300 or so, I'd take the new DVD player and a subwoofer over a new receiver.
Inner Logik is offline   Reply With Quote