Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 12-30-2002, 09:07 AM   #1
Club Member

A truly great under-appreciated songwriter/performer. Countless musicians have covered his tunes, but he is mostly unknown by the general public (present company excluded)

If you never heard "Bring The Family", do yourself a favor...
7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:14 AM   #2
MetsFan
Herf God

I'd also recommend "Crossing Muddy Waters". He also has a 2-disc set called "Anthology" that covers his whole career. It contains a rearranged version of "Have a Little Faith" that is worth the money alone.
MetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:31 AM   #3
Caster
Starting Member

Love the acoustic "Crossing Muddy Waters"

I think he may be his own worst enemy. Read where he is very difficult to work with.

Not a great guitarist, and I can't say he sings very well, but he can sure craft a song.
Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:39 AM   #4
Club Member

I like his voice. Crossing Muddy Waters is probably my favorite more recent release.

I don't know if he's difficult to work with, but Little Village is his only real group effort that I know of, and Ry Cooder also likes to lead, so the two strong personalities may account for the fact they only did that one album - although Ry along with Jim Keltner and Nick Lowe all play on Bring the Family also, but that was all Hiatt songs.

Edited by - 7070 on 12/30/2002 10:45:08 AM
7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 12:22 PM   #5
Caster
Starting Member

The whole story of recording "CMW" without a drummer is hilariuos. He was being uncooperative, so they kicked him out and did the record without a drummer.
Caster is offline   Reply With Quote