Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
nivek
Club Member

Did you ever find a band that you were not used to their sty

Ended up really really liking their music. There is a sort of Gothic band in Europe called Within Temptation, the music is great! The singers voice is angelic! I have purchased every album they have but thier old stuff is great musicly but they use some growl voice on some songs that really suck! But the newer stuff with Sharon Den Adel singing is incredible, check it out!

http://www.within-temptation.com/

click on english then click on media and listen!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2005, 07:43 AM   #2
wouldestous

growl vocal? like on death metal songs? lol those always sound like the band is being fronted by the Cookie Monster. lol
Old 12-22-2005, 09:22 AM   #3
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Al DiMeola. I was stunned by his guitar playing the first time I heard it and I wasn't much into Jazz before then. Not really sure if it falls into the Jazz category or not but that's as close as I can get.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:57 AM   #4
lucasbuck
Herf Meister

I hate when cookie monster vocals get in the way of great music. Opeth's Wild Orchid is an amazing progressive metal feast musically but the vocals ruin it.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasbuck
I hate when cookie monster vocals get in the way of great music. Opeth's Wild Orchid is an amazing progressive metal feast musically but the vocals ruin it.

I hear great metal music all the time, but the vocals....
Old 12-23-2005, 03:14 AM   #6
JerseyDevil65
Rangers Superfan
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasbuck
I hate when cookie monster vocals get in the way of great music.
So I guess you not a big fan of Carcass or Cannibal Corpse?
JerseyDevil65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:05 PM   #7
lucasbuck
Herf Meister

Nope

Old 12-23-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
mannish
Herf God

"Al DiMeola. I was stunned by his guitar playing the first time I heard it"

I was also stunned but nothing there that talks to me. It was one of those records you put on (Mediteranean Sundance ) so you're friends can go WOW but nothing I would listen to for enjoyment

If i wanna hear speed I'd much rather listen to Jimmy Rosenberg (Sinti) play the gypsy-jazz stlye of Django - Jimmy R moves me HIGHLY recommeded
either as a solo artist or with SINTI.

I guess Micheal Jacksosn Thriller album - I don't usually listen to pop but that
was an excellent album
mannish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:07 PM   #9
therealmingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gui_tarzan
Al DiMeola. I was stunned by his guitar playing the first time I heard it and I wasn't much into Jazz before then. Not really sure if it falls into the Jazz category or not but that's as close as I can get.
I was really into Al DiMeola when I was an early teen. That kind of flashy playing really appealed to me then. Eventually I grew out of it, but it was fun while it lasted. I saw DiMeola on the "Tour De Force Live" album tour. I remember it was Jan Hammer on keyboards, Anthony Jackson on bass, and I think Steve Gadd or Chad Wackerman was playing drums. It was a powerful show. I caught the gig either one night before or after the album was cut.

I also got the chance to meet Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, Paco DeLucia, and Steve Morse on the "Passion, Grace, and Fire" tour. It was a truly stunning concert. I've got all of their autographs on a single sheet of paper around somewhere. I didn't get to talk to Al other than to get his autograph. I did get to talk to John McLaughlin, which was very cool because I had been listening to the Mahavishnu Orchestra for a couple of years. He was very nice about indulging me in a few minutes of guitar talk. I also remember Steve Morse being very down-to-earth and complaining to Paco about some technique that he was struggling with. Kind of funny to hear from someone of his calibre. The others seemed to defer to Paco, who was very gracious and self-assured. He probably had the most well-developed classical technique of the four, so you can see why the others would hold him in such high regard.
therealmingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 05:20 AM   #10
mannish
Herf God

I owned the "Passion, Grace, and Fire" album (I don't remember Steve Morse being on it). I had been a fan of the Dregs (especially Night Of The Living Dregs album) but Steve Morse is one of the most disappointing shows I have ever seen.

Jimmy Rosenberg is not for everyone but dang he's good - a legit child prodigy - give it a listen if you like gypsy-jazz. He is incredible

http://www.men.musiconline.no/shop/d...m.asp?id=30468
mannish is offline   Reply With Quote