Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
Paraphen

New humidor, not humid enough

Having recently rejoined the ranks of the gainfully employed, I went a bit, well, overboard (an entire paycheck overboard, as it were) and bought a few boxes of cigars from JR's and a desktop humidor. After I'd unpacked the cigars and arranged them all in the humidor, I noticed the sheet of paper it had come with, advising me not to put cigars in it until it had been seasoned by leaving a bowl of water in it for a few days.

Well, basically, I had nowhere else to keep the cigars, so I figured I'd just put both humidifier's in the humi and a tray of water, hoping that would do well enough. It's been about a week, and the gauge is reading around 62 % RH.

Now, I've seen it higher, the maximum it logged was about 67%, but the last few days it's been steady in the 61-63% range. Is the wood still absorbing moisture, the process slowed by the cigars in there, or is this more likely a problem with the gauge?

I'm smoking one from in there right now, it does seem a little dry, but all this worrying may be making me perceive something that's not there.

I suppose, if nothing else, I could hitch a bus in the next couple of days to the brick and mortar and ask if I can let the gauge sit in their humi for a spell to see if the numbers match up.
Paraphen is offline   Reply With Quote