Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
Ringbill

Update - My Project - The Overstock.com-idor

Hey everyone, thought I'd share something I've been working on lately.

With coolers filling up I could see the writing on the wall - it was getting time for a bigger humidor. However, I already hemmorage cash on cigars and knew that I would really want an Avallo or Aristocrat. I know, you can't go wrong with them and I hope to own one someday. Inspired by the now famous Ikeador, I was searching for another solution when I came across THIS book case at Overstock.com. Their commercials are horribly annoying, but I'd purchased 2 pieces of furniture from them in the past with good luck, and the reviews on this were quite good confirming it was solid wood. So, I looked up a 10% off coupon and pulled the trigger figuring I could either turn it into a humidor or, if that failed, have a nice book case.

It arrived in about 6 days in 3 boxes and took me about 5 hours to assemble. It wasn't hard, but there were a ton of parts. I glued everything to promote good seal. I then weatherstripped the inside, added some wood to the door to seal the center, added magnets to the doors, and decided to see if it would hold humidity.

Low and behold, it did...with heartfelt beads it came up to 65% and stays at or very near there from what I can tell. The thing came with some shelves that were very nice, but I thought i'd add some pull-out shelves. As you can see from the following pictures the one I've built thus far looks like an ape did it, but it's a practice one made from pine. I'll do a better one next.

Here's some photos.

Overstock-idor 1
Overstock-idor 2
Humidity
Magnet
Hinge Seal
Door Seal
Shelf

http://galleries.cigarweekly.com/Rin...stock-com-idor

So, what do y'all think? Hopefully a couple of better shelves and a singles drawer, some more heartfelt beads and it will be good to go.

Josh