Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 04-12-2003, 11:20 AM   #1
pcotton3
Banned

Basil Hayden question

This stuff is expensive, so before I buy a bottle I was looking for opinions.

Anyone got any experience with the stuff?
pcotton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 11:40 AM   #2
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

yes I do.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 04:40 PM   #3
Linn
Club Member

Basil Hayden is Old Grand Dad. Basil Hayden was a farmer distiller that moved to Kentucky County, Viriginia right after the American Revolution on what was called a 'corn writ' and singed by Virginia's first non-royal govener Patrick Henry.

If you walked to Kentucky; and you fonud a nice plot of land - all you had to do was clear four acres and plant corn and build a 16 foot by 16 foot cabin, and presto the surrounding 400 acres were now yours for free! The native Americans living in the Ohio valley called Kentucky their sacred hunting grounds and were more than just a triffle miffed at Patrick.

Later after Basil's death, his grand sons built and ran a distillery in his honor and called their bourbon Old Grand Dad. This label is now owned by Jim Beam Brands, which in turn is owned by American Brands.

Basil Hayden - The Bourbon - is very light and only 80 proof. It has been poo-pooed as nothing more than brown vodka. I have had it and don't reccommmend it. I'd much rather have the original Old Grand Dad 100 proof Bottled In Bond than the very expensive very light Basil Haydens.

Linn
Old 04-12-2003, 06:12 PM   #4
pcotton3
Banned

Thanks for the input, Linn. I think I'll pass.
pcotton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 05:22 PM   #5
Jeff
Starting Member

Quote:
I'd much rather have the original Old Grand Dad 100 proof Bottled In Bond than the very expensive very light Basil Haydens.
I agree completely. I am just finishing my first bottle of OGD BIB and am quite impressed. Much better than BH and at $13 here in Lexington, it's a steal
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 07:07 PM   #6
LabRatGDI
Herf God

Number one, I would NEVER pass over a bottle of something based on anybody else's opinion.

Number two, I like it. Haven't found many bourbons I don't like, though. Linn and I disagree on the proof issue, as we've discussed before. But it's all personal taste, IMO.
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. -- Benjamin Franklin
LabRatGDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 10:53 AM   #7
Linn
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRatGDI
Number one, I would NEVER pass over a bottle of something based on anybody else's opinion.

Number two, I like it. Haven't found many bourbons I don't like, though. Linn and I disagree on the proof issue, as we've discussed before. But it's all personal taste, IMO.
Dave we actually do agree...Kind of ...

Some folks do like lighter tasting lighter bodied spirits at a lower easy drinking proof. I for one am pleased that you're drinking bourbon and not some blended imported stuff.

Basil Haydens actually baffles me, because it has the highest percentage of rye in it's mashbill (21% - it's made from the original Old Grand Dad recipe))than any other bourbon. Yet the flavor profile is so mild you might think it was very low in rye like Four Roses.

If you like Basil Haydens do try Four Roses 'yellow label' 80 proof. Only avaiable for sale in Kentucky and Indiania, but you may be able to import some from various internet sources.

Linn
Old 04-19-2003, 03:55 PM   #8
Pill Man

I've never figured out why... but Basil Haydens is the only Bourbon that gives me a headache. I can drink a few snifters of Bookers and get expectedly buzzed. But two glasses of Basil makes my head feel like it's in a vice. Needless to say.. I'm off the Basil.
- Son House
Pill Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 04:02 PM   #9
LabRatGDI
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linn
Some folks do like lighter tasting lighter bodied spirits at a lower easy drinking proof. I for one am pleased that you're drinking bourbon and not some blended imported stuff.
Linn
Hey, don't get me wrong. I love my imported single malts, too.
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. -- Benjamin Franklin
LabRatGDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:11 AM   #10
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

To Basil or not to Basil?

Basil Hayden strikes me as the low rung on the Jim Beam Small Batch Bourbon ladder. If you're looking for total taste in your glass, better to try the excellent Knob Creek or Bookers bottlings (50% and about 62-63% ABV respectively) from this range. Hec, even Jim Beam's regular Black Label 7 or 8 year old beats the pants off Basil. Knob Creek's slightly burnt characteristics marry well with more strongly flavoured cigars such as Montecristo's No.2 Piramide, while Bookers' (suitably reduced with neutral bottled water) fruitiness demands something along the lines of a Ramon Allones 8-9-8 Dalia. Happy sipping!