Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2006, 05:38 AM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

A tasty new recipe: the Greek coffee frappé

Here's a cool new recipe I learned that's a great way to get rid of any of that foul instant coffee you have lying around. This drink is incredibly popular in Greece and is what they call a "coffee frappé." This works best with spray-dried coffee, rather than freeze-dried, and gives it the big foamy head desired. Most coffees don't say on the can how they're dried, but since a Greek Nestlé employee invented this drink decades back, I just used Nestlé-made coffees like Nescafé or Taster's Choice. The other myth about the Greek frappé's origin is that it was invented by construction workers who used the big foamy head to keep dust and dirt from getting and settling into their coffee.

Ingredients
-------------
10 oz. of cold water
1 tspn. of instant coffee
Sugar to taste
Milk to taste
A straw
A shaker or blender (I personally just use my cocktail shaker)
A glass (duh!)
Ice (optional)

1. Add your cold water and coffee (you can always adjust the amount of either to your personal taste) to the shaker or blender.
2. Add sugar (no sugar for a "sketo" frappé, two tspns for a "metrio" or medium frappé, three tspns for a "gliko" or sweet frappé).
3. If its a shaker, shake the sh*t out of that sucker for at least 30 seconds. For a blender, only 10 seconds or so is necessary.
4. Pour the contents into your glass (filled with ice if you want it real cold) and it should pour with a massive, foamy head.
5. Stick the straw in, drink, and enjoy!

Found this recipe kind of by accident and it makes a very easy to prepare summer drink. On drill weekends (I'm in the Indiana National Guard, for those who didn't know), we usually get a packet of Taster's Choice in our MREs, so I've taken to using one of my cantines as a shaker and fixing one of these up out in the field.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote